Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brandtly

Vista Beta 2 Internet Connection Problems

I've been trying to get Windows Vista (both 5270 & the new build) to connect to the internet with out any luck. The strange part is that it shows I'm connected, but the browser will never connect. I haven't loaded any softrware or made any changes except to IPv4 settings. Once I put my TCP/IP specific settings in I can see other computers on my home network, but it still will not connect to the internet.

Motherboard: ECS K8T890-A

NIC (onboard) VIA Rhine II

D-Link 108G Mimo Router (connected via ethernet cable)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I use Internet connection sharing of WinXP SP2.

Same problem here all the PCs on my network that have winxp have internet but the pc that i installed the Vista beta 2 has no internet but the worst is that i can ping internet websites!

I disabled firewall etc.

ping www.google.com for example but no page can be loaded in IE.

so i have internet communication but no webpages, i even tried other browsers but nothing.

I noticed on strange thing that in the network centre i find an unknown residential gateway with the ip of the pc with ICS.

I also noticed error in the Network setup WIZARD.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I'm showing connected, can ping out, but can't get a Web page to load.... I've tried everything! I've tried disabling all security on my wireless router, plugging into the router (instead of wireless), disabling the firewall, disabling the secure browser settings, lowering the browser controls as far as they will go, disabling Defender, disabling IPv6 and QoS, and every combination of the above!

I've even tried creating a second user account to see if it was a problem surfing as an "admin".

I'm using a DLink DI634M router. I even tried setting my Vista box as a DMZ host! Finally, to try everything, I used a different machine to d/l WinXP drivers for my wireless NIC. Vista upgraded the driver nicely, but I get the exact same experience.

I think the strangest part of this whole issue is that I can surf my intranet. I can pull up my router's web config page, etc., but I can't get Google, or any other site to load!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Having the exact same problems here, i have tired trying to connect to the ip address directly as suggested above but to no avial. Have any of you guys found a solution?

here you go

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=10

"The culprit is the built-in firewall software on the DI-724U router, which features Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI). This is not the only router in the SOHO market that features SPI - Netgear's WGR614 and Linksys' WRT54GS are among dozens of products that offer similar capabilities. Trouble is, the new and improved TCP/IP stack in Windows Vista falls apart when it encounters an SPI-enabled router.

One workaround is to disable SPI on the router. That significantly weakens a key layer of network security, but it allows Internet traffic to get through. Unfortunately, the D-Link DI-724U, like several other products in the same family, doesn't allow SPI to be disabled"

That does seem to be the problem! There must be a fix or someway we can get around it for the time being...

I was having a similar problem. I was connected to the network but not the Internet. All of my XP machines were getting internet without a problem.

I did two things and the problem seems to be corrected.

1. Upgraded my firmware on my router (not sure if this did anything but it seemed to be dropping the internet connection less than it was previously)

2. Turned off IP6 and both Link Layer Discoveries in the LAN Connection Properties. This got me back online immediately and I haven't had a problem since I've done this (we'll see if by next week it is still running smooth)

At least something to try! smile

Sarah

2. Turned off IP6 and both Link Layer Discoveries in the LAN Connection Properties. This got me back online immediately and I haven't had a problem since I've done this (we'll see if by next week it is still running smooth)

This worked perfectly for me as i was having the same problem and it really was doing my head in lol i love this person!!!!!

Hi Sarah,

I have a question for you. I am having the same problem with Vista. I can't connect to the internet. Could you please explain to me how you turned off IP6 and both Link Layer Discoveries in the LAN Connection Properties? How can I get there and do the same thing? I would appreciate your help. Thanks,

Serhan

From Control Panel start Network and Sharing Center.

From the left pane, select Manage network connections.

Then right-click your Local Area Connection, select Properties.

Confirm UAC prompt.

Uncheck the IPv6 and Link-Layer topologies.

OK your way out.

Hi, New user Albion - you good people - Sarahlizz3 especially - have just saved me from beating my head against a monitor and taking a fire axe to a router. I'm working with a new Netgear DG834 router which actually has a 'disable SPI' function - but I think most people will confuse this with 'disable firewall' which is a different function in a different part of the set-up which seems to have no effect. Anyway, Sarah's fix worked a treat first time. Thank you, thank you, thank you.