Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Predestinated

Undelete

Can all versions of undelete recover files such as assignment folders?...For some reason my laptop began a disk check which it has not completed...keeps saying there was an unexpected erro and also that entries has been crossed linked and has non valid links...I don't know what happened..it was fine when I turned it off the day before...Now I have to consider getting a recovery disk and I am afraid I'll lose my assignments and other important files as well...Pls give me a few tips...quickley before I drown myself in my tears...

It definitely sounds like you have a problem with your hard drive. For the sake of this post, I will assume you are running Windows XP/2000. If you are running 9x, please post back here again and we can provide you with a different solution.

First, you need to get your hard drive cleaned up, and to properly do this you will need a boot CD or a set of boot disks. If you do not have your Windows XP CD, then click the preceeding link to make a 6-disk boot disk set. To create the boot disk set, download the boot disk creator program that is intended for your Windows Operating System and save it to your hard drive. Double click on it to run it and follow the on-screen directions.

Once you have a Windows XP/2000 CD or boot disk set handy, you need to boot your computer from it (not from the hard drive). Once your computer is booted fully you need to run a "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) command. This will take a while depending on the size of your hard drive and you should not lose any files through this process. This scan will search your hard drive for problems and repair what it finds.

Once the scan is done, reboot your computer and it should work fine. If not, then you may consider taking your hard drive into a local company to have the data backed up to CDs.

Do you have the XP CD (no recovery cd)?

If you don't, borrow from friend or somewhere.

Then boot from the CD, enter recovery console and run command suggested by tschrock.

What boot diskette you used? The 6 diskettes of XP?

Just checking, you did set the floppy drive to first boot device in your laptop's bios?