Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lewisusa1

Ghost "inaccessible boot device"

Hello Everyone;

I need help. Here is my problem. (this worked on my sons system)

Well, I ghosted my 120 to the 300 (2.75 hours) and all appeared to go well. 5 partitions of roughly 57GB and 1 of 1GB. I then removed the 120 (I use drive shuttles) and inserted the 300. Post went fine and then Windows 2000 screen came up and progress bar got a little past half-way when I got a BSOD with message "inaccessible boot device". I re-ghosted the next night just in case something went wrong, same results. I then inserted the Windows 2000 install disc and attempted to repair. It stated that it could not find a Windows 2000 installation to repair. ? So I then went back an proceeded as if I was going to install Win 2000 fresh, just to see what partitions it recognized before asking me where I wanted it loaded. Very interesting results; it only saw 2 of the 57GB partitions, 1 55GB partition and 116GB of unpartitioned space. It showed total available space of 130GB. So it was running up against the dreaded 137GB limit impossed by 28-bit addressing!!! When I put the 300GB in an external inclosure and attach to my system via USB, it's all there. So. I flashed my bios today and haven't tried to install the 300GB again yet. I did find a HD controller card on NewEgg for $39, and it fixes the 137GB limit. I will probably have to go that route if the flash didn't fix the problem, though I don't think it will, as that was not listed as one of the problems it remedied. Still haven't gotten an email back from MSI Tech department after the one I sent to their customer service dept was responded to saying they would forward it to the Tech dept?

Anyone have any ideas? I am running an MSI KT3 Ultra 2 with Win 2000 Pro, 512mb PC2700 ram, AMD Athlon 1.3mhz proc, and used Ghost 2002 which I used to Ghost a 40GB to the 120GB I am using now, and a 40GB to a 200GB on my sons computer.

Later,

Chris

Lewisusa1@comcast.net