Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wint

Connectivity Issues with Mandriva 2006

Hello everyone, I tried to search for this issue on the forum and wasn't able to find anything, so I created this new topic.

I'm new to Linux and wanted to give it a try, so I downloaded the free version of Mandriva Linux 2006. The install went smoothly and it looks good, but for some reason I'm unable to connect to the internet.

My connection is cable (Roadrunner) through a router. When I look in the hardware it's picking up my ethernet nic just fine (3com PCI card) as eth01. The little icon at the bottom right that shows the connection information says it's connected, but when I try to monitor the connection it says not connected.

I'm not too savvy when it comes to internet things, I've usually be able to stumble my way through it and I have been able to connect 3 other machines to my network, this one is the only one I'm having troubles with. As far as Linux experience goes, I'm a complete newbie.

Be gentle, and thanks for your help in advance smile

If the icon says it is connected why don't you open a web browser and see if it is in fact connected.

Also you should check in the Mandrake Control Center and see that the network connection is "on" at boot.

When I open Firefox and attempt to go to google it says that www.google.com is not found or something the like.

When answering the questions that configured it, I checked the option for it to be on at boot.

I think I'll try pulling the nic, starting linux, then shut it down and put the nic back in and start it back up.

Go to (let me see if I can remember);

start-->system-->configure-->configure my computer.

Then go to the network settings and try to set up the NIC card again. Choose to activate the NIC card on boot (DHCP).

If the card does not connect right off after exiting the utility and accepting the settings, try rebooting and see if Firefox connects.

What NIC card make and model are you using?

Poop, I knew I should have written that down. It's a 3Com card, I can't remember the model number, I'll look it up after work when I get home.

Thank you everyone for the replies, I'm looking forward to learning more about Linux 8)

Go ahead and see if Mandriva sees the card in the network utility. If you see it there, it should be OK to proceed.

Well thanks everyone for the help, it's working now. laugh

A new question, which I can put in another thread if you wish, but I was trying to update Firefox to the most current version (currently it's 1.0.2 or something like that). I went to www.getfirefox.com and downloaded a tar.gz, but then realized I have absolutely no clue how to update it. Firefox's install instructions say to download and extract it to the directory you wish, but I have no idea where it's supposed to go or how to install it.

If anyone has any good links for a noob like me on how to install/update software I would be very grateful. I don't expect people to hold my hand and lead me through the process, but my googling the subject has been fruitless so far.

Nevermind, I figured it out. I didn't have all of the required packages installed. shocked