Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaviota

Using a scanner with Windows 2003 Server

I need to use an hp ScanJet 3400C scanner on a PC with Windows 2003 Server standard edition, SP1. Drivers are for Windows XP, there are no drivers for Windows 2003 Server on the hp support site, but as I said before, I need to use the scanner on this server PC.

I started the Windows Image Aquisition (WIA) service and then installed the drivers without any problem. On the device manager I can see the scanner, supposedly working properly and without any conflicts. But when I try to use it I always get a "can't initialize scanner" error. Is there any other service I need to start?

BTW, the same scanner works perfectly with the same drivers and software on a PC with Windows XP.

Originally posted by Wilhelmus:

Quote:
Found this:

http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/139/139227.htm

Quote:

Comments

Driver for ScanJet 3400C scanner and Windows 2003 Server.

[Not available on HP site] smile

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it doesn't work. I downloaded the file, but when I install the .inf file it searches for files not included in the .zip file and the installation fails.

I'll try a different approach...

I need to have a scanner in a Windows 2003 server standard edition, SP1. What brand and model can I use in the $80 - $150 price range?

All the ones I see are listed as compatible with Windows XP, but not with 2003 Server.

I am having the same exact issue trying to use a Kodak i30 scanner (nicer imaging device for businesses) with their Kodak Capture Lite 6.6 software. It won't initialize the device UNLESS I do a "Run As" and login as the local administrator. THEN it works just fine. You can try this for a temporary fix - it's kind of annoying but totally workable. I'll be doing it until I can figure out which super-dooper Windows 2003 Server permission won't let me run a ISIS or TWAIN device.

Let me know if you come up with something better.

~Gizmo

You need to use a 3rd party software program. The standard one for sharing any kind of scanner or web cam or imaging device with Windows 2003 Server (or any version of Terminal Services or Citrix, anything that uses either RDP or ICA) is remotescan. Remotescan has been available for several years, and works with virtually every single scanner model out there. We like it. Search on the web for remotescan and there are about 20,000 links and reviews. Their web site is http://www.remote-scan.com