Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivnLarge

UBUNTU probs w/ Synaptic, executables, critical updates, kde vs Gnome?

hello all, I am a new Linux user. After two weeks of trying to install Mandriva 2006, I sadly gave up and switched to Ubuntu. I successfully installed it on one try and so far pleased with it except for the fact that everything is different and taking me a while to get used to since this is my first linux ever! So far I been to customization sites and got gDesklets which i then got all these cool icons, themes etc. but took me forever to learn how to do that!

I was at this site where someone wrote everythign they did when they downloaded Ubuntu and how they customized it and he even mentioned how to install mozilla firefox but to have the updated version and some code to enter into the terminal to change the shortcut because i guess Gnome would still have the old shortcut there and not work for the newer one.. anyways that didnt work for me so im still using the origninal firefox.

Anyways in his CRITICAL UPDATES section, he mentions how to edit i believe a source.list file to be exactly like his because of something to do with hoary being not good or somthing i have no idea. Also i tried the update and upgrade commands he mention and they worked but i also got errors when they ran. Hopefully someone can fill me in and help me out.

Anyways i edit my file like he said to and whenever i open my synaptic package manager i get this:

"W: Couldn't stat source package list cdrom://Ubuntu 4.10 _Warty Warthog_ - Preview i386 Binary-1 (20041020) unstable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%204.10%20%5fWarty%20Warthog%5f%20-%20Preview%20i386%20Binary-1%20(20041020)_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list cdrom://Ubuntu 4.10 _Warty Warthog_ - Preview i386 Binary-1 (20041020) unstable/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%204.10%20%5fWarty%20Warthog%5f%20-%20Preview%20i386%20Binary-1%20(20041020)_dists_unstable_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net warty-backports/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net_ubuntu_dists_warty-backports_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net warty-backports/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net_ubuntu_dists_warty-backports_universe_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.nerim.net testing/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nerim.net_debian-marillat_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)"

Also how the heck do you say download partition magic and install it? Im having a hard time with executables in linux. I see tar mentioned everywhere. Im dieing to download my online [censored] games like WPT and start playing.. Its a pain in the 4$$ switching to windows just to use my DC++ p2p program just to download and i dont want to find myself needing windows.. whats the point of using linux when you still need windows? So im trying to never rely on windows again.

Thanks

oh and what are these splash screens?

Look at your other post for a response.

Please don't double post. This confuses things and fragments any responses that you may get.

Whoops my bad. Sorry Danlef. Again your help is greatly appreciated. I was wondering if i should post to the same post but thought i shouldnt because it was a different topic... well sort of. But now I know.

btw love the quote. I grew up to the ex military riding in a black van with the school red strip.. show. Good ol A-team.

p.s. I noticed you are from Albany. Taking a shot in the dark ever hear of the "Fiehls" or "Fiels" family?