Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

Change windows XP Pro Retail to windows xp pro OEM?

When I was in college I took an operating systems class and I was given several of those orange Microsoft XP Pro cd keys. I recently had to reformat and my xp cd was scratched so I downloaded one of those 9 in 1 xp cd's that have all the different versions of xp (pro, corp, oem, retail, ect...). I forgot which version of xp I owned so I chose one of them and installed it. My legit cd key didn't work so I just ended up using another one I got off the net.

Now I cant activate windows, naturally.

Can I change my version of XP to the correct one so I can use my Legit Cd Key w/o reformatting again?

Yes.

There is a program I've used in similar circumstances at work where you use the same key over and over through (due to cloning) and then need to change the key. It opens a dialog similar to the ones which you see when you first start the activation process. You can then put in your alternative key and hit activate and it goes through the whole process.

Just search Google for "XP key changer" and obviously you'll get a whole bunch of w4r3z sites so grab it, run it, dump in your legit key and then activate it. You should be fine. Always works for me, so long as your network/internet connection is working and you haven't already activated that key more than the five or so times you're allowed. Otherwise you have to call them and sit on hold for 3.5 hours.

F

Yeah, I dont need to just change the key, but I need to change the version of windows.

So is there any hope?

Could I do a repair install using a copy of the legit cd even though its oem and not retail? I can get another copy from my college.

Wow, I just went back in to reactivate over the net and it late me type in my legit key and it worked. Didnt work before... strange?

hi,

is it the xp pro oem that does not need activation?

i mean that it has a key that comes with it and does not require anything else.

i just found a 3 pack of xp pro oem for sale:)

we have about a dozen hard drives but only use 2 at a time..one for software..the second for a lot of video..and we change that second hard drive to one of the other video hard drives to work on whichever videos we need to etc..

so only 2 online at any time..but we swap one in and out about every 2-3 days.. so risking a need for activation won't work.

so we just need the xp pro oem (or corporate)..whichever that does not require activation.