Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
asherjames

Dual boot Win XP with Fedora Core 4

Hi Guys!

I am totally new to Linux. can you tell me how to install win xp and fedora 4 on a same hard disk.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Let me refer you to this how-to article which should help. Asking how to install Fedora is beyond the scope of this forum, but the references that I gave you should help.

However, have you determined if your system hardwate supports Fedora? Posting some system specifications would help. Make and model of the computer that you are installing to and how much ram is in the system?

There are also some great resources out there, such as the Unofficial Fedora Wiki and also the Fedora Installation Guide.

But, you need to start out with a plan. Give us some more information to go on and what you are looking to do specifically and we will try to guide you.

What is your internet connection; broadband, modem, DSL?

Make sure that your hardware and such is compatible with Fedora, so you can assure a good experience.

We will go one step at a time.

Hello,

I'm also new to the Linux world. My set up is Win XP Pro on #1 HD and Fedora Core 4 on #2 HD. They are seperate drives on the same IDE cable. I'm installing FC4 now, when will I get prompted for the boot floppy or how do I create the boot floppy?

I made the the following partitions on the Linux HD

/root - 10 gb

/work - ~9 gb

/swap - 600 mb

Thanks for your assistance,

yokoboy06

webbasemail@gmail.com

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
Let me refer you to this how-to article which should help. Asking how to install Fedora is beyond the scope of this forum, but the references that I gave you should help.

However, have you determined if your system hardwate supports Fedora? Posting some system specifications would help. Make and model of the computer that you are installing to and how much ram is in the system?

There are also some great resources out there, such as the Unofficial Fedora Wiki and also the Fedora Installation Guide.

But, you need to start out with a plan. Give us some more information to go on and what you are looking to do specifically and we will try to guide you.

What is your internet connection; broadband, modem, DSL?

Make sure that your hardware and such is compatible with Fedora, so you can assure a good experience.

We will go one step at a time.

Quote:
I'm installing FC4 now, when will I get prompted for the boot floppy or how do I create the boot floppy?

By the time you read this. your nstallation wouldm be done and you found that there is no prompt for a boot floppy during the installation process.

Fedora installs a bootloader, by default, to the Master Boot Record of your hard drive. So, there is no need for a boot floppy.

Did you get Fedora installed and booting?