Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwl812

Quick question....if there is such a thing

Im running xp. do i need sp2? if i visit windows update regularly and have downloaded all the updates for sp1 and i use a third party

firewall, and antivirus do i really need sp2? my computer runs much better with sp1 but i will sacrifice a little for a more secure pc if sp2 is necessary...

thanks in advance.

jeff

I really haven't noticed any difference in speed or compatibility with sp2 running. The thing is with Microsoft, at some point, you are almost forced to go to the next level since they will no longer "support" earlier support packs. In fact, you probably have sp2 components running under your sp1. It is better to switch to the later support pack for no other reason than when sp3 comes along, it will presume that sp2 had preceded it.

JWL, if you are doing the monthly updates at Microsoft you are already downloading SP2 and SP3 hotfixes.

Download Belarc Advisor 7.0t and run it and it will show you what SP's are already installed on your computer. You can get it here.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1385

Like Sampson I have not noticed any slowdowns from running SP2.

havent experienced any slow downs either

although since, like myself, you have third party applications to secure your pc you can turn off the new "security" service that is installed with sp2, which i guess can technically slow down your pc....

control panel/administrative tools/services/

security center -> to manual

make sure you disable it first

Hey, I really appreciate the replies. Sorry I havent responded before now, We had to pack up to move into the new house. Thanks again. I guess I will continue with SP2 and try and disable some of the unecessary services.