Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
superlativetech

Mandriva 2006 and nvidia geforce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

Greetings,

I am a new Linux user and have run into a problem getting my nvidia geforce4 MX 440 with AGP8X to work. I have no clue at all on how to configure anything from the console. I have read several articles on the problems with Nvidia card drivers and Linux. The funniest thing is that I had Mandrake 10 installed previously and it had no issues configuring the video card automatically. It’s hard for me to understand why I have video during the installation of Linux and no video post install. If any one can provide any detail on how to configure this file correctly or how to access this nvidia file (if I burn it to CD) from the terminal you It would be greatly appreciated. If you can explain I would need explicit detail. After so many years of the windows world seems like that’s all I know frown

Thanks

A couple of questions.

During the installation, did you configure the video card at the hardware summary installation screen and test video? If not, then the card was not configured for your monitor.

What monitor do you have?

The easiest thing to do, would be a re-install and make sure that you configure the video there, especially if you have no knowledge of console work.

In terms of the driver. I assume you got them off the NVIDIA site? Which exact file did you download, the 32 bit or 64 bit driver? Is your system 32 bit or 64?

You don't need the NVIDIA driver for basic functioning, just 3D.

Did you look at the installation instructions on the NVIDIA site? But, if you did not configure video during the installation, then your monitor settings may be off, or not set at all. This step is often missed during installation, as users miss the prompt on the hardware summary screen that the card is not configured.

During installation video is just basic...no specific settings for your card and monitor. The video config tool sets the card type and specific settings for your monitor. If these are not set, then video can fail, especially with a LCD monitor. Mandriva will generally auto configure, as the config. screen, your settings.

If you want/feel comfortable trying to do the settings at a console, let us know and we can walk you through it. But to summarize how to do it...

login as root and run drakconf. Configure the X11 server in the "Display" category and exit. Afterwards, type in the console service dm restart.