Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwp2600

ATI X850 Pro DVI Not Working

Hello,

This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum so please bear with me.

I just pruchased an ATI X850 Pro. This is an upgrade from an ATI 9600 SE 128mb(1 vga, 1 dvi). Before installing the new card I uninstalled all of the old ATI software and drivers.

After installing the new card I installed the new catlyst software and drivers. When hooking the LCD monitor to the VGA the monitor works fine. When connecting to the DVI on the card the LCD monitor gets no signal. I immediatley connected the LCD monitor with the same dvi cable to a different computer equipped with a nvidia 7800 and it worked fine. Knowing this I then decided to start over. I re-installed my old ATI 9600 card and hooked up to its DVI and it also worked just fine.

Next I re-installed the new ATI X850 and the same problem, no signal to monitor. ATI's website recommended to disable the USB ports and also to use PS2 mouse and keyboard. I did this and again, still no signal. Next I shut down the computer and hooked the monitor up with the VGA cable with a VGA to DVI adaptor and connected it to the dvi, rebooted and it worked. Next I Shut down, disconnected vga w/ adapter and switched back to the dvi cable and once again no signal.

Next I connected my old crt via the vga and started the machine. After windows loaded I then reluctantly plugged the LCD with the DVI cable in when the computer was on and it turned on and flashed dvi connection on the LCD and worked ok. I then went into the ATI software and set the LCD as the primary display and rebooted again. Upon rebooting the LCD had no signal again and the crt said out of range. Thinking I had the setting flip flopped I repeated the previous steps and switched the primary display but after reboot it once again had no signal.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and software several times. I tried the old drivers for my old card, drivers that came with the new card and I downloaded the most current drivers directly from ATI all of this with no luck. Also, the drivers for my motherbard are also the most current. For good measure I actually took my monitor back to where I had purchased and had them hook it up via dvi and it checked ok.

As a last resort I disconnected all items that required power but were not needed suspecting insufficient power. Still the same result, no signal to lcd from dvi. I have checked the bios to see if there was anything to enable dvi but could not find anything that pertained to it. Also per another forum I read, I tried toggling the pnp in the bios between on and off but that made no difference.

I am at a loss. I have read several forums with the same problem but have yet to find a fix. I plan on exchanging my new X850 for another to assure that the dvi port is not faulty. Any information anyone has I would appreciate greatly. I know it will work when hooked via vga but as you all know dvi is the only way to go when using an LCD.

Thanks Alot!

My systen is:

AMD 2700+

ASUS A7N8X Mother Board

Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

1.5 gb DDR 3200

ATI X850 Pro 256mb(1 vga, 1 dvi)

500 watt Antec Power Supply

Gateway FPD2185W 21" Widescreen LCD

Lite-On 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner

1 Western Digital 120gb HD-8mb

1 Western Digital 200gb HD-8mb

1 Seagate 250gb HD-16mb

Man! I do believe you've discovered the prob yourself, I can't see how you could troubleshoot anything else! I would RMA the card, the monitor works with other cards, but not yours.

Relic,

Have you heard of this problem anywhere else? I am almost positive it is a card failure but my gut tells me its not. I am almost half tempted to reload the OS to see if that would do anything.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm no ATI guy, I'm an nVidia fanboy here, last time I was around an ATI card, was when I pulled the old Rage II+ (or some such) out of my wife's old system.

Have you tried the ATI forums? Be nice if you could try this card in another system, with your monitor.

Having not been into an ATI console lately, do you have a setting for "display mode timing"? If you do, try setting it to "coordinated video timing".

Other than that, I mean you've done all you can except drop the card in another system......

Replaced the card with a new one and still have the same problem, still no DVI. I thought maybe there was a hault error hanging " no monitor" or something when using the DVI. I changed it so Hault= none but that didnt work...shot that hope down the drain! I have an old p4 1.6 with linux on it. Think I might put a copy of XP on it and try it in that computer. I did not see anything as or similar to "coordinated video timing" in the catalyst software. This is just frustrating. No help from ATI thus far either. They have yet to get back to me. Its to the point right now where this has turned personal and I have to figure out why it wont work! Its going to drive me nuts until I have an answer.

Does your monitor support the Extended Display Identification Data (EDID)? Or does it have an incomplete EDID? If not, it may result in the screen going blank during system POST and boot up.

I guess I dont know much about EDID. I am a very non-techy talker. My understanding of that is that it is what enables a computer to know what kind of monitor is connected. It does recognize the monitor by its model number. If I boot up with a CRT connected via VGA and after windows is loaded I then plug the LCD via DVI the LCD will come on and I can set it up(in the ATI catalyst) so the LCD is primary and the CRT is the extended desktop. When the LCD_DVI was on I also did check via windows to be sure lcd was enabled and set as primary but that made no difference. Even then when I reboot I get no signal to the monitor and have to go back to the vga cable.

I experienced the exact same problem with this product. It's unfortunate, because it really is an awesome monitor, and it does look better over DVI.

I have found a solution :), although it involves money frown. I bought a new graphics card. Previously, I was using a Raedeon with ATI technology and, fearing that a repeat of the problem would occur if I bought another ATI-based card, I went with Nvidia this time. The new card is a GeForce 6200, and it solved the DVI problem.

The unfortunate thing is that EZTune is incompatible with the new card; launching EZTune with the new card causes my Windows XP Professional-based PC to completely freeze. The only way to unfreeze it is to reboot (in Safe Mode if EZTune is set to start automatically). This happens whether EZTune is launched manually or automatically. The monitor's optimal settings (such as resolution) can be set through the graphics card's tools, but without EZTune, the monitor cannot be rotated to display in Portrait Mode.

With luck, there will be an update to EZTune in the not-too-distant future (the current verison is only version 1.0, which means buggy-as-**** in technical terms). In the meantime, I prefer the superior picture quality to the ability to use Portrait Mode. smilesmile

Thanks for clearing that up dreamspark. ATI's reaction to EZTune seems similar to Samsung's MagicRotation 1.0 which had a similar problem with nVidia drivers. It is now up to 1.5 and behaving itself better, so here's hoping EZTune will have the same success.

Well, thats what I was afraid of. I am courious if the next ATI driver update will cure the problem, although my patience is gone with ATI.

I still have time left to return the card, so I guess 7800GTX OC here I come! I am looking at upgrading my system. I was thinking about an AMD 4400+X2, just cant decide what mother board to get, still have to research it.

Figure I will throw my old ATI 9600 back in my 2700 and give it to my kid. Then my wife cant get mad at me for upgrading!!!

HA! Yea, actually she's pretty cool!

Anyway, thanks to everybody for all thier help and input! It is very much appreciated!!!!!

I have the same problem. Same video card, same monitor.

The weird thing is, it had been running on DVI for about two weeks. This is a family computer so i'm not sure if somehow the driver got corrupted ... my wife said that she had a window pop-up during windows start that asked her to install Pivot. It sounds like she did, it was not long after that that DVI stopped working... unfortunately i can't confirm the timeframe.

I have reinstalled the ATI driver a few times with no luck.

From what I have read here it looks like i'll have to replace the video card.... although the fact that it was running on DVI makes me wonder about s/w. Any help would be appreciated.

From the post above, it seems that EZTune and the Gateway monitor were at odds with one another. In your case, it seems to be Pivot. See if Pivot is being installed at bootup by running msconfig. If it is, exclude it. Re-boot and come up in safe mode. Uninstall your ATI drivers, re-boot; come up normally. Make sure that Pivot is not being installed; install your ATI drivers. See if your DVI connection works.

I too had the Gateway FPD2185, but returned it for another monitor after having a few late nights trying just about everything....

I will go back and get it if someone can tell me if the following corrects the problem:

I am pretty sure that the problem is somewhere with Gateway's EDID or ATI ability to read it.

Having said that, I have an ATI AIW x800XT with all of the latest drivers & software (5.13 I think).

I have just noticed that the ATI Catalyst Control Center has an option under the "Digital Panel Properties / HDTV Support"....

"Add 1080i standard format to the Displays manager"

Gateway's FPD2185W supports the 1080i or the 720p (not the 1080p).

Can someone try one of these settings with the DVI-D connection and let me know if it works? Also wondering if this would work using the Component Y Pb Pr connections.

In the short time frame that I had this monitor working, I realized that it's display is second to none & I want it back after seeing what other monitors look like.

Originally posted by tried everything:

Quote:
I have just noticed that the ATI Catalyst Control Center has an option under the "Digital Panel Properties / HDTV Support"....

"Add 1080i standard format to the Displays manager"

Gateway's FPD2185W supports the 1080i or the 720p (not the 1080p).

Can someone try one of these settings with the DVI-D connection and let me know if it works? Also wondering if this would work using the Component Y Pb Pr connections.

I have an ATi 850XT connected to my FPD2185W (via DVI and VGA) and setting the HDTV options in the Catalyst driver (v6.1) did squat. I was unable to test the component inputs, but I seriously doubt it would make any difference.

Like others have reported, the monitor was working fine for about 10 days and then the DVI suddenly stopped functioning, for no apparent reason. It's curious that I've only read similar reports from owners of ATi cards. Does nVidia not suffer from this?

I called Gateway tech support, who had no information on the problem, but indicated that a new firmware for the monitor was in the works. Whether that was true, and whether it would fix the problem remains to be seen.

At a minimum, 'corrupt' EDID info in the monitor is clearly related to this problem. Even PowerStrip, which is capable of pulling the EDID data directly from the monitor, was unable to acquire it. For this reason, I think that the EDID may, in fact, be intact, and that it is the DDC link that's actually failing. Regardless of which (corrupt EDID or bad DDC link), the same end result manifests itself.

As there seems to be no 'software' fix, I'll exchange the monitor and see how long the new one holds up. If that one busts the same, I'll not try a third.

-k

Thanks kopaka - sorry to hear that wasn't an easy fix.

I have been told that there is a difference between Nvida and ATI cards in their ability to force / change EDID's for monitors. Nvida can, ATI can not.

I noticed at my local retailer (Future Shop) that they had different boxes for the Gateway monitor - different UPC's and different product codes. The only difference in the product description was the reference to "Canada" - I susspect that this is the only difference, but I think I'll try one just on the hopes of it being new firmware.... did I mention I really like this monitor?

Good (bad) news

I called Gateway Support and told them of my problem. With a little sweet talking I managed to convince the support lady to send me a new monitor.

First thing I noticed was that the "NO SIGNAL" graphic looked different (it now has 3 R/G/B squares). I plugged in DVI and boom, worked immediately (didn't work at all before).

I also noticed that the OSD version was 1.11 instead of 1.0 on the old-and-busted monitor.

Call gateway support and get the fixed version.

I have the same exact issue w/the same monitor (that I purchased at Best Buy 10 days ago) but an ATI X700 agp card. Prob just started to happen.

Called Gateway and they are shipping me a new monitor. I made them aware of this issue... seems we are not alone:

http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=16099

I must say, aside from this prob, the image is spectacular. I really like this screen... when it works.

Dan

dan.gros@gmail.com

I sent gateway the link to this thread (and another one), concerning this DMI-D cable issue and got this response:

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Based on the

documentation number you have provided, I have learned that there is a process that was made for your unit to be replaced. At this point, I would like to suggest that you have to wait for your replacement Monitor. Meanwhile, please try to use the VGA cable port for you to use your system.

Carson

Badge GWPE228

Online Customer Support Team

Gateway

I hope this solves it for us!!!

Same problem here.

I hava a HSI X850 Pro & a FujitsuSiemens W19-1.

The guys at FS recignized the issue. They had the same problem.

They had recieved a firmware uppgrade from ATI that solved the problem. I havent found it yet >> not tried it.. Will get back if I solve it..

Fabian