Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedStar

Need for speed: most wanted install problem

i run on win2000 sp 4

I have two LG DVD rewriters (different models)

On the newer model..the install fails on disk 2 (please insert disk two even though it is in) On the older model i get to disk 3

before i get prompted to install proper disk over and over.

This (and past problems) tells me that my drives must not be compatible with the games copy protection.

I have not tried multiple install tries...as UT2004 took 4 tries before the disks were read.

I bought the game yesterday because it was 30$ off at futureshop.

Anyways, here is my question ...how can i get the game to install!?

Can i just copy all the disks onto the HDD and then try the install?...i'm asking because i'm sure there is some little trick

to this that i am unaware of.

---

oh and perhaps unrelated...the license agreement comes up blank..but lets me continue anyways.

Ok i tried their suggested fix...copy files to hdd and running the autorun with no cd's in drive.

but installation fails at 26% (at request for next disk)

it prompts me to put cd/dvd 2 into drive F (F: is my games HDD).

I click ok and we could go into an endless loop of prompts for correct CD. SO i abort install.

Any suggestions now...other than cry?

smile

their suggestion:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts. I’m sorry for the difficulty that you are having with Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Transfer errors during installation can be caused by a number of conflicts. There are steps you can take to remove the source of conflict before attempting to reinstall the game.

1. End all background tasks to prevent conflicts with other programs.

* Click here for steps on ending background tasks.

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/cci/background_tasks.php?p_sid=%3C?%20echo%20$p_sid%20?%3E

2. Empty your Temp folder to prevent file conflicts.

* Click here for steps on emptying your Temp folder.

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/cci/clear_temp.php?p_sid=%3C?%20echo%20$p_sid%20?%3E

3. If you have a secondary disk drive (such as a CD-R or DVD-rom drive) try the installation from there.

4. Try CD-rom troubleshooting steps to prevent read issues with the disk.

* Click here for CD-rom troubleshooting steps.

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/cci/cd_troubleshooting.php?p_sid=%3C?%20echo%20$p_sid%20?%3E

5. Basic installation troubleshooting steps will help prevent conflicts with the installation program, itself.

* Click here for installation troubleshooting steps.

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/cci/install_troubleshooting.php?p_sid=%3C?%20echo%20$p_sid%20?%3E

* If the previous steps did not work, and you have 6GB of harddrive space available, you can try copying the disk files to your harddrive and installing without the CDs. Make sure to follow the steps below exactly as they read, or else the install may not work.

For the DVD version:

1. Insert the DVD into the DVD-rom drive. Exit the startup menu when it comes up.

2. Double click My Computer, then right click on the DVD-rom drive with the game DVD in it and select Explore.

3. Hold the CTRL key and then hit A. That should select all the folders and files.

4. Then hold CTRL and hit C. This will not look like it does much, but it's preparing to copy the files.

5. Close that folder and go to your desktop. Right click anywhere BUT on an icon, and Select New, then Folder. Name the folder Sims2 DVD.

6. Then double-click that folder, and hit CTRL and V. This will begin copying the files from the DVD.

7. Once the files are copied, remove the disc from the drive.

8. Double-click on the Setup icon in the folder.

9. You may delete Most Wanted DVD folder once the installation is complete.

For the CD edition:

Make sure to follow the steps below exactly as they read, or else the install may not work.

1. Double-click My Computer.

2. Right-click on the Local Disk C and choose Open.

3. Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.

4. Name the folder Disk Images it is important that the name has a space in it.

5. Double-Click the new Disk Images folder to open it.

6. Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.

7. Name this folder Disk1.

8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting Disk1 for Disk2 and so on until there are 4 'Disk' folders followed by a number 1 through 4. it is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number.

9. Insert Disk 1 of Most Wanted into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.

10. Double-click My Computer to open it.

11. Right-click on your CD-ROM drive and choose Open.

12. When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.

13. All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.

14. Open the Disk1 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk1 folder.

15. Repeat steps 9 through 14 for the remaining disks until you have copied each disk into its appropriate folder.

16. Once all the disks have been copied, remove ALL CDs from any drives.

17. Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.

18. To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation has completed.

If any error appears when you try copying the discs to the hard drive, then it is possible that the disc may be defective and needs replacement. However before trying to have the game replaced by EA, you can try have the game replaced at the store where you purchased as much as possible to avoid incur additional shipping charges if you let EA replace the game.