Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shortee

Asus A7N8X2.0 Sound Skipping

Sound and video skips every 10mins, i have no idea why ?

Tried all sorts of tricks noted here.....http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread20191-1.html

I've narrowed it down to my NIC, onboard '3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet'

As i only get the problem while i'm downloading. (Does not have any new drivers available)

Never had the problem while using the other onboard NIC 'Nvidia nforce MCP networking adpater', which doesn't seem to work at all now.

Even purchased a sound card to try solve this 'Creative soundblaster Live 24bit' which has made the skipping less noticeable, but it's still there.

Advice please anyone, would be greatly appreciated.

smile

System:

AMD Athlon XP Thoroughbred XP 2600+

CPU Clock Speed 2079.7 MHz

Clock multiplier x 12.5

Front Side Bus Frequency 166.4 MHz

Bus Speed 332.7 MHz

Motherboard model: A7N8X2.0, REV 2.xx

BIOS vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD

BIOS revision: ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005

BIOS release date: 05/14/2003

Chipset: nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1

Southbridge: nVidia nForce2 MCP-T rev. A4

Sensor chip: Asus ASB100

Memory

DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM

DRAM Size 1536 MBytes

2 NIC's:

3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet

Nvidia nforce MCP networking adpater

Soundcard:

Creative 'Soundblaster Live 24bit'

Graphics:

Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

I had that motherboard and didn't notice any skipping, however, I always tended to use a Soundblaster Audigy card instead of the onboard sound.

That being said, have you tried flashing the firmware/bios on that board as there are later revs available. Sometimes these are issues resolved by doing this wink

Try that first and let us know what happens, ok.

Nope, not tried flashing the bios...it is a bit out of date. Might do the trick...i hope.

Me needs a floppy drive now.

I'll let you know what's what.

smile

Successfully flashed the bios up to rev 1008.

Sound still freekin skips, but not as bad as before. Which is good news.

Anymore ideas plse?

thinking a reformat is the only way to go now. frown

Ok thought i'd update this for anyone else in a similiar position.

Root of the skipping was due to my NIC sharing the same IRQ, as the nvidia MCP audio processing unit.

Here's the details:

Quote:

Go into Control Manger - System - Harware tab - Device Manger. Change the view to "Resources by type", then expand the Interrupt Request category. Does your keyboard use any other interrupts besides ISA 1? Are your audio devices sharing interrupts with other devices?

You can get Windows to reassign interrupts by turning off - temporarily or permanently - hardware devices in the CMOS setup screens. If you're not using things like midi, your parallel port, any LAN ports or the firewire port - anything on that page, really - you should disable them so they don't take up any resources. If you need everything that's enabled, then just temporarily turn off a few less essential devices and load Windows. The motherboard's APIC and Windows HAL seem to end up sharing a lot of interrupts that they don' really need to. Turning off a few devices sometimes makes them rethink how everything should be layed out and they move a lot of stuff to unused interrupts. Even if you go back into the CMOS setup and re-enable some of the devices you need, you'll usually end up with a better distribution across all the interrupts.

Hope that comes in handy!

smile