Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
michiganmark

DSL / SBCGLOBAL SUSE install - HELP!!! (home network/router/DSL)

Hi, I'm first time Linux user, possible convert, but I can't get 10.0 SUSE Prof. to recognize the DSL or the home network (at least not as near as I can tell).

I DID have a problem with disk#4 being unreadable, and so I downloaded a disk 4 .iso and made a new one, which seemed to help it complete the install.

I have 512mb RAM, and it is as slow as it was with windows XP home. I was expecting it to really cruise.

Please advise... thanks so much if someone can walk me thru the DSL configuration. SBC was no help at all!

Mark

resolvingconcerns @ either hotmail or yahoo

Originally posted by michiganmark:

Quote:
Hi, I'm first time Linux user, possible convert, but I can't get 10.0 SUSE Prof. to recognize the DSL or the home network (at least not as near as I can tell).

Did you attempt to set up DSL during the installation? If not, did you use yast to try after the install? You need to know if your provider uses dynamic or static IP addressing.

I assume that you are connected to the network via a network card (NIC} or is this USB to the DSL modem?

Quote:
I DID have a problem with disk#4 being unreadable, and so I downloaded a disk 4 .iso and made a new one, which seemed to help it complete the install.

ISO images need to be burned at a slow speed. Say 4X, not the full speed of the burner. This is a common issue. Also, did you verify the iso image was downloaded intact by checking the md5sum of the file?

Quote:
I have 512mb RAM, and it is as slow as it was with windows XP home. I was expecting it to really cruise.

I found SuSE to be somewhat slow in general. It has a lot built into it which requires not only enough ram, but also a good processor. what processor is in your system? SuSE is optimised for Pentium or newer AMD processors. If you have an older processor, this can be an issue, as well.

Hi, thanks for replying & sorry for my delay (out of town and away from home a bunch).

I TRIED to set up DSL while installing SUSE 10.0 pro, but never seemed to get on line. This could be SUSE, me, or a problem iwth my router, which hopefully is resolved now.

Yes, NIC card; I think SBC uses dynamic IP addresses.

I took some guesses when installing (probably not correct ones). It can't find mirrors or show that it is online at all / doesn't seem able to find anything when trying to go online.

Thanks again for any more help,

Mark

markyounginc

@sbcglobal.net

When you are asked during set up of the network you will be asked to list who your ISP (the ones offered by SUSE don't work) find out who your service thru SBC is. SBC has several; ameritech.net and prodigy are two. When you enter this put in the user's name the account was setup for and the password for that account. Your gateway thru your router should be 192.168.0.1. SBC does use Dynamic addresses or you can get Static address's from SBC; provided you can get a tech with knowledge of them.

The SBC regional tech was by today fixing some phone line problems with old hardware, but nothing related to the problem. He didn't know linux but figured I might need to know more about the TCP settings.

I'm not sure I'll find the settings you are suggesting I fix during installation (I started reinstalling and have it still waiting for the right steps from me.

would Mandriva likely have as much trouble if I just installed that over this incomplete/non-functioning setup?

Thanks,

Mark

Let's take a look at the problem a little differently.

Windows did not set up your DSL connection by itself. Either you were given an installation disk (as I was for Verizon, which did not work) or the technician set up the system for you.

In either case, the settings that you needed were set up by the disk or by the technician. To give an example, I had to set mine up manually, so the following applies.

**I needed to know my login name and password.

When I asked the technician on the phone about the settings, he just said "Linux is not supported." Not true!

**I needed to know if the IP was assigned dynamically or statically.

I have found that depending what software I am using in any distro of Linux, sometimes static works, sometimes dynamic. Interesting!

When you get the installation Summary in Suse, you need to know how to set up your settings. If needed, you can get these from Windows. If you are running XP, go to start-->Run...

Type in cmd and hit the enter key. Then type in the console ipconfig /all...hit the enter key. This will show you all your needed settings. Write them down. Make sure there is a space between ipconfig and all.

Go into Yast and pick Network..DSL. Run the DSL setup utility and fill in the needed information.

Fedora, Mandrake and whatever distro that you use, still needs the same information, either during the installation, or once the system is up, if you mess up the settings during the installation. This is dependent on your ISP provider for DSL, which is why knowing if it is a dynamic or static is important.

While running the DSL setup utility, options will be given to choose dynamic or static. If you have a dynamic ISP, just choose that and start on boot via DHCP.

If your DSL provider requires you to login with a username and password, you need to have these handy.

The only distro that set this up easily for me was Linspire. I just provided the username and password and Linspire took care of the rest. Nice!

In Suse,Mandrake and Fedora, I had to tweak the settings a little to get them to work. This is not an easy task for newbies to Linux, but persistence pays off.

Thanks again Danleff,

I thought I had posted that my DSL is connected to my Dlink router, and that I'm hard-wired w/cat 5 to the ROUTER... so your advice about setting up DSL wouldn't apply, would it?

However, I DID try to connect directly to the DSL speedstream modem without luck, prior to this. I can bypass the router again, and see if it lets me set up the DSL directly by trying to enter all the ipconfig settings as you suggest...

I do get dynamic IP from SBC; it is sbcglobal.net and pop/smtp servers are pop. & smtp. sbcglobal.yahoo.com

Thanks,

Mark

What you should be doing, is connecting to DSL via the NIC card. During the Yast setup;

Start-->System-->Yast-->Network Devices-->DSL

...is setting up DSL using the NIC card.

Note that you have a button to configure the NIC card.

If you have dynamic DHCP, then configure the card as such, then proceed to add your DSL settings, such as username and password to login.

Once you are finished, try the following. At a console window as root user, type in the following (assuming that your NIC is configured at eth0);

dhclient eth0 (hit the enter key) then type in;

ifup dsl0 (hit the enter key)

See if that works.

Thanks again Danleff,

I thought I had posted that my DSL is connected to my Dlink router, and that I'm hard-wired w/cat 5 to the ROUTER... so your advice about setting up DSL wouldn't apply, would it?

However, I DID try to connect directly to the DSL speedstream modem without luck, prior to this. I can bypass the router again, and see if it lets me set up the DSL directly by trying to enter all the ipconfig settings as you suggest...

I do get dynamic IP from SBC; it is sbcglobal.net and pop/smtp servers are pop. & smtp. sbcglobal.yahoo.com

Thanks,

Mark