Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
crimson.cosmos

Lost Disk Space

Hello again!

I've got another problem which requires your expert council smile

I have Windows XP SP2, and NTFS partitions, on two HDD's. Now - whenever I use shift+delete to erase a certain file, or I delete the file without passing it trough the Recycle Bin (some progam deletes it, for instance), I get no disk space back. If I delete a file (sending it to RB) - I don't get any space (this is normal) - but when I "Empty Recycle Bin", I get the space I should have gotten back.

Now - having to move files to RB, and then emptying it, and not using any other erase method is very annoying. And if I use cut on a file - then paste on another partition - I don't get the space. If I use copy - paste, then delete(delete + empty RB) the original file - only then I get the space back.

I tried formatting the HDD, but the problem isn't solved. I scanned the disk with Norton Disk Doctor - but it failed to find any errors.

Any suggestions are most welcome smile

Thanks!

You can always try chkdsk /f <driveletter:>

example

chkdsk /f c:

If it asks u that it needs to schedule this for the next restart because it needs exclusive access to the disk, do so, and restart! laughsmile

Pressing "Shift+Delete" only bypasses the confirmation dialog when you delete a file or folder. It still goes to the recycle bin. I could be wrong but I think that is what that particular hotkey combination does.

Oops I am wrong.