Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Are Win Media Player 9 and Nero compatible?

Are Windows Media Player 9 and Nero 5.5 compatible? I ask because WMP9 now has Roxio CD burner embedded in it and there's no means to remove it. I want to continue using Nero as my principal CD/DVD burner.

Note that I use Win2K, not WinXP.

Sampson, thanks for that but I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle. I don't want a plug-in for WMP, I simply want to REMOVE the Roxio burner that's embedded in WMP9, because, as I see it, you must never have installed a second burner when you already have Nero. The two will conflict.

Originally posted by packman:

Quote:
Sampson, thanks for that but I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle. I don't want a plug-in for WMP, I simply want to REMOVE the Roxio burner that's embedded in WMP9, because, as I see it, you must never have installed a second burner when you already have Nero. The two will conflict.

Simple, go into the Services.msc applet and disable the IMAPI Service and there you go wink

You will not be able to burn directly from WMP however you still can burn any rips made from WMP with NERO.

Sorry. I've never had the Roxio software interfere with the Nero burning software. I've never uninstalled the Roxio from WMP9.0 on my W2K machine. I thought that you wanted to burn something using your WMP player using Nero instead of Roxio. Will try to read the request more closely next time.

Thanks for all of your replies, especially you, Sampson.

Sampson, it appears that you misunderstood my situation. I'm simply wanting to leave Nero 5.5 on my PC as my singular CD/DVD burner that I use. But I do also want to use WMP - not for its CD-burning feature but actually for its radio-listening. I've no desire whatsoever to burn any CDs or DVDs with WMP or to transfer any files from WMP to burn with Nero. However, the mere fact that I upgraded from WMP7 to WMP9 recently and suddenly discovered that WMP9 now includes Roxio CD Burner, embedded in it, gave me cause for alarm, as everybody knows from way back that you should never have any additional burners installed on your machine if you want to use Nero, as otherwise there'll be conflicts. In WMP7, you were given the option of disabling the Adaptec burner in it and that dealt with the matter entirely.

I contacted Ahead (nero.com support) some weeks ago about this and, after some delay where they were looking into the matter, they sent me instructions for removing the Roxio program from WMP9 and for cleaning up the Registry entries, etc. Their instructions started by saying 'Remove Roxio burner plug-in', using Preferences. Well, that's not possible because Roxio in WMP9 is not a plug-in and it's not normally removeable. Also, there's no Preferences feature. I've replied to Ahead about this but have heard nothing from them since.

American Zombie, how certain are you that Roxio does not, in fact, interfere with Nero? If they can now sit side-by-side without any problem then that's certainly news to me, and it also seems to be news to Ahead as well. I've searched for discussion on this elsewhere but have found absolutely nothing. Can you point me to something that'll convince me that they ARE compatible?

Sampson and American Zombie, do bear in mind that the version of Nero I use is v5.5. There may well be differences with newer versions of Nero. Perhaps that's why Ahead sent me specific instructions?

Further addendum:

Initially, Ahead sent me their InfoTool program, so that they could see what I'm already running. As a result of that, they sent me the following instructions, saying in a separate e-mail that I needed to 'remove the plug-in separately, as it might reinstall the drivers':

Dear valued customer,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

A review of your computer system has revealed that drivers from another burning software, which conflict with Nero performance, are left on your computer system.

Please disable the Roxio plugin and use the “Driver CleanTool” to disable these drivers.

Download driver-cleantool.zip from

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/Driver-CleanTool.zip

Extract the zipped files to your hard drive using WinZip or WinRar.

You should now have two unzipped files:

Driver-CleanTool.exe, and

RegistryChecker.exe

First step: run Driver-CleanTool.exe

This file will deactivate drivers that have caused problems with Nero in the past.

Confirm the deactivation of the displayed drivers to prevent known driver conflicts from reoccurring in the future.

These drivers also include Values in the Registry under Windows NT, 2000, and XP.

To ensure that these values are also deactivated you will need to run the RegistryChecker file.

The RegistryChecker will run very quickly. It is likely that you won't see any activity after double-clicking on the file.

Note: Running the RegistryChecker will not be necessary for Windows ME, 98SE, 98, or 95.

[Edited by packman on 2005-12-11 14:21:07]