Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

Prompted for Passport for no apparent reason

Hi Gang,

It seems like this has happened maybe 10 times now. I get this prompt for my passport and can't figure out where it's originating from. The only local process that could/should be asking for that is MSN Messenger, but when I look in task manager it says Explorer.exe owns the passport dialog. Is this related to the MSN Messenger integration in Windows XP? I have checked for spyware, worms, and virusses with Ad-aware, SpyBot, Panda ActiveScan, Trend Micro Housecall, and Norton AntiVirus all turn up negative. So either my assumption that this is related to the MSN Messenger Integration or I have something new and evil on my hands.

Why%20does%20explorer%20care%20about%20m

If nobody knows what's up I'll use Hijack This!. What's the name of the forum I should post in with my results? I know there are a couple of good security forums out there, but the names fail me. It may be on the same site as HiJack This! is distributed from. Also I'm sure I could post it here to smile.

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

Hi Christian,

when I used to use msn messenger on this comp it never popped up a passport prompt.

I wonder if it could be related to Windows Messenger instead??

I'm not positive but one of the others might know for certain

Hi Cormac,

I guess that's what the windows integration thing was I was talking about, Windows Messenger. Yes, in fact when I put my mouse over the instant messaging icon, it's titled Windows Messenger. So how about it gang? Does Windows Messenger ever do that? And why is the login screen coming from Explorer.exe and not some other process? I realize that if it is Windows Messenger that may be the reason, but I want to know for sure.

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

Yes, Christian, this phenonmenon in relation to Windows Messenger happens to folks rather frequently. It is supposed to be due to some spyware cookie. I don't know if that is true or not. The way to stop it is not to allow Windows Messenger to run at all. You will have to stop it running at bootup and whenever you bring up Outlook Express. Other than digging around in Windows itself, there are several programs that will do this for you. I like Xp-Antispy since it stops messenger from running but includes other "tweaks" that are useful.

Since you have checked for spyware/viruses, I suggest that for starters you lay off using MSN, and especially avoid providing your username/password in that dialog until you figure out the culprit. I WAS gonna suggest a virus/spyware scan round, but you say you have done that already.

Have you tried disabling the Windows Messenger Service (its NOT part of MSN/Windows messenger by the way).

Hi Christian,

I agree with Sampson on using Xp-Antispy, it is a sweet little program for blocking that rather annoying Windows Messenger and it's pop-ups. Plus windows messenger just leaves one more hole in your security to be exploited

You can get it here at Major Geeks.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2062