Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Phalanx-Imawano

How to change the background image of the Windows Login Screen

Anyone know how to do this? Originally the background of the Windows Login Screen (not using the Welcome Screen; on normal WinXP installations, it's just plain blue, but OEM's like IBM and Dell sometimes put their logo on the background like a wallpaper) of my office Notebook PC was blank and plain blue. Then once I set the desktop wallpaper to a certain picture; strangely, the Login Screen now uses the same image as its background, and I can no longer get rid of it. Even if I delete the image (and all copies of it) from the hard disk (so that it can't be set as the wallpaper), it's still there as the background image of the Windows Login Screen.

Several ways to do this: A. B, or C. You will have to go into the Registry and it goes without saying you want to backup your registry before doing anything.

A)

1) Right click on the desktop (assuming you are logged on!) and then select "Properties" from the Menu.

2) On the resulting window select the "Appearance" Tab then click the "Advanced" button.

3) On the next window select "Color 1" then "Other".

4) Now on the new window select a color you like and note its RGB as shown in the bottom right hand corner of the new window.

For example the shade of Lime Green: R68 G240 B81 or simply 68 240 81

5) Once you have your RGB values you can close down all the open windows.

6) Now navigate to:

HKEY USERS\ . DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colours.

7) The default value should be: 0 78 152

You can change this now to your chosen RGB value.

The changes will not take place until you log off.

B)

Open your registry and find the key below

Modify the value named 'Background' according to the color you would like in RGB (Red/Green/Blue) format. For example, "0 0 0" for black or "255 255 255" for white, and every other color in between.

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

User Key: [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors]

Value Name: Background

Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)

Value Data: 0 0 0 - 255 255 255

C)

Get the little tool that will also help you do it.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/logonbg.htm