Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zenarcher

SUSE 10.0 Sound Problems After KDE 3.5 Update

I just wondered if anyone else is having problems with SUSE 10.0, after performing the KDE 3.5 updates? I have noticed a few other people with the same issue on other forums.

Since up[censored] to KDE 3.5, I get KNotify errors involving sound. This occurs when trying to run YAST Updates and in several other applications. Also, some wav files that used to play, such as the one when mail arrives with Evolution, no longer play. When opening or closing Firefox or other applications, the open and close sounds used with KDE break up and do not completely play.

One other forum poster says it is not a bug in KDE, but rather a problem from SUSE and how they set up sound. I don't know if or when it will be fixed, but just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this.

Regards,

zenarcher

A fresh install did not resolve the sound issue with SUSE 10.0 and KDE 3.5. The only way the sound works properly is to not update to KDE 3.5, but rather stay with KDE 3.4.

zenarcher

Well, whatever the problem was....there were a zillion KDE updates this morning and they fixed the problem!

zenarcher

Same here. I've been wondering what happen myself. I went ahead and tried out some more distributions, including SuSE to see if the sound problems were persistent. Sure enough, all KDE's with 3.5.0 had the same problem. Glad to hear it's fixed. Hope to see a KDE 3.5.1 anyday now, with CVS upgrades.

Another little problem I've noticed is with Kopete - using the Yahoo and MSN webcam options - the program will crash once in a while. Other then these two errors noted, KDE 3.5 is fantastic.

Oh just to note - I tried compiling aRts package a few different ways

with no luck. I tried compiling the old aRts from KDE 3.4.3 for KDE 3.5 which compiled and initialized but the same problem persisted, so I guess it's deeper into kdelibs where the errors did happen.

All of my sound systems are working great, once again, having done all current KDE updates. I don't use any of the IM applications, so not sure about that. Otherwise, everything is fine. I'm looking forward to SUSE 10.1, which I believe should be along about February. The SUSE has worked out the best for me, as I use SATA RAID0 and it's the only Linux distro I've been able to get working with SATA RAID0.

Regards,

zenarcher

Help?

Until 2 weeks ago I was running SUSE 10 on a Compaq Presario 700 no problems. Perfect sound. The notebook had progressed from SUSE 8 through to the current version with no problems. My desktops are running Win98 for my bookkeeping system.

Then some 20 days ago the notebook was stolen.

In search of a replacement I took a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro (V2040)

It came shipped with XP Pro pre-installed, so I decided that I would create a dual-boot machine... because of Accounting prog. that I haven't yet found a Linux solution for :-( and this seemed like a good way forward?

Using Win 98 I formatted the HDD in FAT32, then installed XP, and then SUSE 10. Sound was fine initially on both OS's. Then I downloaded the latest SUSE updates, and now the sound is causing me grief on the SUSE side. I can't hear a thing, and all my family can hear is a highpithched buzz?

The Win side is fine. Any ideas?

Sounds like you either updated the kernel and lost alsa (the sound package) or missed some dependencies. So much for the updates. I assume you updated everything?

Try some of the solutions found on this forum thread.

BTW, what accounting software clone do you need/ what are you using in XP?

Thanks for your reply. No time today to try the alsa route to recovery? Too many ailing Win NB's to attend to (Clients)

Yep, I updated everything.

Presently I am using Quick Books for the accounting package, but help is at hand :-) South African "Cubit" 2.7 will be available sometime in March. If this works then I can dispose of Win 98 and XP entirely. I have experimented running QB on Linux via Crossover Office. QB is heavily dependant on MS. One can export data to Excel format only. It needs IE and a mapi compliant e-mail program. I hav e done all the testing, but it just doesn't work. I must be one of the few people to have had the "Big Blue E" on a linux desktop? I didn't enjoy the experience :-(

I guess I will miss Google Earth and Clickatell too?

I'm not sure how much progress has been made, by CrossoverOffice is a wine like emulator that may currently support QuickBooks. See this article which discusses it. Granted it is about an older version, but progress may have been made.

You might also be interested in this article as well and is a more updated discussion.

I was reading this thread because I have sound problems with KDE. But I notice you looking for a linux accounting system. I will be publishing a Java accounting service within the next few months - would that be of any interest? It will be called SACS - Small Accounting System, and will cost about USD70/year for an entry level system. A private demo will be available shortly. If you want to try that, email me privately.

Charles Whittington