Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Baffled by new Windows Media Player

Are there any known issues of Windows Media Player 9, under Windows 2000 SP4? I've just updated my WMP v7.1 to v9.00.00.2980 and I'm blowed if I can get the Radio Tuner to work at all; it's completely dead. It worked fine in v7.1. Am I missing a trick somewhere? Does it require a plug-in before it'll work, now?

I've been through Options, so all the appropriate file formats are chosen. I'm on a broadband connection and am not offline. So, why doesn't the Radio Tuner open? It usually then displays music categories and then stations playing those, but with Radio Tuner selected, all I get is some brief text on the screen from Microsoft and one or two facile control buttons at the top, but that's it.

One other thing I've noticed is that WMP now has Roxio CD Burner built into it. I normally use Nero for CD burning and want to continue with Nero, yet you shouldn't have a second burner installed when using Nero, otherwise they'll conflict. In v7.1 of WMP, you could deselect Adaptec CD Burner but I've seen no evidence that you can do the same here. What do you advise I do?

Have you made "windowsmedia.com" one of your trusted sites in your Security options? Sometimes when the security is set too high, the Radio tuner won't connect.

No, "windowsmedia.com" isn't specifically listed in my firewall as a trusted site, but winplayer.exe is. With v7.1 of WMP, I didn't need to set windowsmedia.com as a trusted site in order to use Radio Tuner.

If I were to now try that, though, would there be any risk of some other site masquerading as windowsmedia.com?

And here's a couple of riders. In the setup for WMP9, I unchecked just about every option involved with licensing, MP3 downloading, etc, though nothing concerned with streamed radio. Perhaps that wasn't wise. I've no idea how to get back to those options again.

Another thing that's puzzling me is that, according to Microsoft, WMP10 is the latest version. So, is mine v9 or v10. When I click on Update, it tells me my version is now the latest. I've actually got v9.00.00.3250, not 2980 as I reported. Or can only v10 work under WinXP?

I am not sure whether or not you need Win XP to run Windows Media Player 10.

On my system I have Win XP SP2 and the Windows Media Player is version 10.0.0.3802.

Right, I ran WMP again and it's now updated to v9.00.00.3250. That's as far as it'll go, under my Win2KSP4. That now fits with what some of you say. Thanks.

I still can't figure out why the Radio Tuner in WMP doesn't work, though. It could possibly be a cookies problem or a firewall problem, but exactly what I need to do to correct it isn't at all clear.

Adding windowsmedia.com as a specific trusted site hasn't helped at all. In fact, even temporarily disabling the firewall on my machine has had no effect on this problem - the Radio Tuner is still not responding at all. Cookies are normally enabled on my machine. Any further suggestions would be welcomed.