Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

forum ideas

Phillip I have a request for you to consider please.

Firstly you're doing a great job maintaining the forum however we've all noticed the increase of spamming occuring, especially in resurrecting zombie threads.

Would it be possible to investigate running a weekly script that locks/archives any thread that has had no action for 1 or 2 months?

A second idea would be the possibility to rate a member, or flag them for being naughty. I think there was a feature like this here some years ago, or maybe i'm thinking of somewhere else. Maybe even tie in their rating to the number of posts they can make each day could help with the spamming.

That would be cool. Ta, F.

<edit>I can't beleive I just made an untitled thread. Idiot!! Can someone please put a subject of "forum ideas" on it? Ta. </edit>

Hi Felix,

Thanks for your suggestions. The thread locking feature is part of the next version of the CMS system. I will move to the new CMS version as soon the current development release can fully replace this installation.

There are many other interesting features coming including attachments (with gallery functions) and email notifications.

I think I am one of the reasons felix is asking for such a script. I own computer repair shops in Omaha and Lincoln, NE USA. We help a lot of people locally, and we get a lot of repeated questions. Rather than explaining the answer to each person over and over, we develop online articles, tutorials and the like to make the process easier. We make this information available on our website, and we also serve Google ads on our pages.

I found this forum after becoming disgusted with the expert exchange. I have made 6 or so content posts answering people's computer questions. I have always provided a solution to the problem in the actual forum. In my posts I also post a link back to the tutorial/help article on our website.

Felix has *politely* informed me that I am a spamming parasite. I would like to know what you think about this situation. If I am doing something that hurts your forum, then I will definitely stop at once.

My argument is that I am providing solutions for your members and added content for your forum.

Let me know if you have any qualms with what I am doing, or if my posts are ok.

Not sure, but since tschrock only has 8 posts I don't think he is too much of a spamming threat. But, I usually just read the latest threads every day and may have missed some things in the past. And to tschrock, you could think about not posting an 'advertisement' within the post, but simply post a link to the fix and have a sentence and link to and about your business in your signature.