Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craters

Very strange USB HDD problem...

Hi, everybody --

I have a problem here, and I can't find anything on the web after an hour or so of searching, so I figured I'd just bite the bullet and ask. I have a Western Digital hard drive that I put into an external enclosure for my wife to use with her notebook (a Sager 9880C). She'd been using it without any problems now for more than a month; we were very pleased with the ease of setup (AFTER I figured out that it would work only with the jumper removed!! Ack.) and its speed. A couple of days ago, though, the LED started blinking (for no apparent reason), which supposedly means that it's reading or writing. The problem is that it's CONSTANTLY blinking now. It also turns out that the drive isn't even recognized any more by her computer. I tried two other USB ports with no luck. I tried a flash drive in those same three USB ports, and they all see it (and the files on it) with no trouble. Next, I tried the drive by plugging it into my computer, and it works fine there. (That includes using the same cables.)

Next, I tried my external drive in her computer, and her computer won't recognize it, either; all that happens is that that *%#@! LED flashes. (It's mocking me, I know it.) It seems that, all of a sudden, there's something going on in her machine somewhere that suddenly won't recognize an external HDD for some reason. We're both running XP with SP2. Neither of us can think of anything that she would have installed that might have done this, and we've done a virus check (NAV Corporate 8.1) with negative results. She does nothing that I can even imagine that would tweak any lower-level XP or BIOS settings, since she mainly uses it for an online business, and messing with the computer like that would be pretty dumb.

If anybody has any bursts of cosmic insight that might help, I'd REALLY appreciate hearing what you might have in mind.

Thanks a million for your time...

Mark

P.S. -- GREAT forum you folks have here, by the way!!