Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NyteBeauti

XPPro to XPHome network tickin us off...

Ok..here's the jist of what's going on...

two pc's, networked through a auto negotiation switch. Can see each other, through the network, Host pc can access the internet (using dsl), but client pc has no internet access what so ever.

3 days of this, we've come to figure out.. there's a problem with clients ip. When we go to 'repair'.. we get the message about 'can't renew ip address'. Gives us an ip address, and different subnet mask from host.

Using Verizon dsl, with a westell dsl router, Addtron technology switch. WHAT are we doing wrong???? Please... after 3 days of this headache, I'm about to try the baseball bat theory on this p.o.s!!!!!!!!

Thank you,

NyteBeauti

What's meant by "Host PC" and "Client PC"? Does the "Host PC" have the internet connection and is sharing it with the Client via ICS?

How is connection to the internet established? Is it already connected, or is PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet; i.e. the little box that appears where you log on as if it was dial up) required?

Eg I have a 4 PC network (3 desktops and 1 notebook), all 4 computers have access to my DSL connection with the help of a Linksys DSL Router (which has a built-in 4-port Switch). Since my DSL connection requires PPPoE, the Router is also configured to connect via PPPoE (if only 1 PC were connected or it was sharing its connection, PPPoE is established on that PC); all the PC's are connected to the Router's switch and are assigned IP addresses by the Router.

Perhaps you can give a visual diagram of your network. That would be a start.