Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zenarcher

Unable To Scan With HP PSC 1401 and SUSE 10.0

I just installed a new HP PSC 1401 multifunction printer on my system. The printing is great, but SANE will not recognize the scanner. I've read and done everything I can think of, with no success. I probably won't give all the information necessary here, but this is what I've done.

I downloaded and installed the PPD file for the HP 1400 series, since it was not in the YAST install list. All HP software is installed, as well.

In YAST, under scanners, I see the printer, but it shows as not configured. When I attempt to configure it, I get an error: Failed to set up the ptal system - failed ptal-init setup-usb. Incidentally, this is a USB printer.

Opening a terminal as su, I run usr/sbin/ptal-init setup. Everything looks fine there shown below:

Currently defined device names ([*]=default):

"mlc:usb:PSC_1400_series"

Model is "PSC 1400 series".

Serial number is "CN591230QP04GM".

Probe for USB-connected devices ([y]/n)? y

Probing "/dev/usb/lp0"...

Found "PSC 1400 series"

with serial number "CN591230QP04GM".

This device is already set up as "mlc:usb:PSC_1400_series".

Probing "/dev/usblp0"...

Found "PSC 1400 series"

I then ran /usr/sbin/ptal-init start which stops, then restarts.

Then, as su, from a terminal, I ran /usr/sbin/ptal-init setup-usb. Here is the result:

Probing "/dev/usb/lp0"...

Found "PSC 1400 series"

Probing "/dev/usblp0"...

Found "PSC 1400 series"

Starting the HP OfficeJet Linux driver.

mlc:usb:PSC_1400_series

Reading the HP driver installation information, I did go to /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and made sure the comment was removed, as advised to do in the HP instructions.

I'm pretty new with all this, so any help would really be appreciated.

zenarcher

Hi Zenarcher,

The only thing I can think of is, is the hpoj package installed? After running the ptal-init setup, did you try to get it going with xsane?

Yes, Dan hpoj is installed...I checked on that. Also, I deleted out the comment #, as instructed in the HP info. I also rebooted before and after all that...trying SANE both times, but SANE and KOOKA don't show, nor can they find the scanner. I'm sure I'm missing some step, but just not sure what.

Here is another oddity I'm having. I have another box, just like this one. I took my old HP T45 off this machine (where it printed fine, except the color was getting some lines through it) and moved it over to the other system. The other system is the same motherboard (MSI KT6V), same SUSE 10.0...everything the same. But, on the other machine, I cannot install the HP T45 as it doesn't find the parallel port! I'm using the same parallel cable and everything. I even went into the BIOS and made sure the parallel port is set to ECC, just as this one is. Yet, it works on this box, but not the other, if anyone has any ideas there. It is not communicating with the parallel port, as it appears to me.

zenarcher

Okay, I'm making progress on the scan problem with the PSC 1401, even if I'm not on the parallel port problem with the HP T45.

Here's the deal, so maybe Dan can help me with this. Here is what I did:

I did some more reading and found that SOMETIMES, having both HP print drivers installed creates a problem. This printer unit requires you to use the old hpoj driver. So, I went into YAST and deleted the new hpijs(or something like that). I then went back into /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and had to remove the comment again on hopj, using the vi editor.

Now, I tried once again to scan and IT WORKED! Now, here is the problem:

I rebooted the computer and could not scan, following the reboot. I then went into a terminal as su and ran usr/sbin/ and ran ptal-init start Following that, I could once again scan!

So, apparently, upon reboot, I have to run usr/sbin/ptal-init start before I can scan.

Is there something I can do so I don't have to open a terminal as su, then run usr/sbin/ptal-init start, every time I reboot the system, before I can once again scan?

Regards,

zenarcher

Got the problem resolved! Here was the resolution.....

In /etc/rc.d/boot.local I had to add this line:

/usr/sbin/ptal-init start

Once I did that and rebooted the system, the scanner worked perfectly!

Now, just to figure out the parallel port problem on the other box....

zenarcher

Well, I THOUGHT I had the problem resolved! Now, once /usr/sbin/ptal-init start is run, SANE finds the scanner and it works great. BUT, then, I cannot print. In order to print, I have to run /usr/sbin/ptal-init stop after which I can print, but not scan. Both have to be run in a terminal as "su" I can live with that, since most of the time I am only printing and can start ptal when I want to scan, then stop it when I'm finished, if there is no solution.

Regards,

zenarcher

Sorry, I can't rmember which distro you use. Is it Fedora? In SuSE, Fedora, Mandriva, You can go into the "services" editor and tell ptal-init to start at start up. In Fedora that would be:

Code:
system-config-services

In SuSE it would be in Yast. In Mandriva, it would be in the Mandriva control center.

I'm using Slackware so I'd likely just put the command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local If I were going to use the scanner a lot. If I used it only occaisionally, (which is what I do) I'd likely just start it up when I needed it.

Strangely enough, I had to scan 12 pages for a friend tonight. We use a HP officejet v40xi, and it scans and copies perfectly.

As a tip, Gthumb is a really good utility to scale, crop and convert images with. A lot easier to do than with Gimp. With Gthumb you do one, then click "next" and do the next one.

I'm glad you got it working! Scanner are a real pain the first time around! smile

Originally posted by zenarcher:

Quote:
Well, I THOUGHT I had the problem resolved! Now, once /usr/sbin/ptal-init start is run, SANE finds the scanner and it works great. BUT, then, I cannot print. In order to print, I have to run /usr/sbin/ptal-init stop after which I can print, but not scan. Both have to be run in a terminal as "su" I can live with that, since most of the time I am only printing and can start ptal when I want to scan, then stop it when I'm finished, if there is no solution.

Regards,

zenarcher

I'm pretty sure danleff has this very same problem with his printer/scanner. You have to stop sane in order to print and so on. Luckily enough, ours doesn't have this annoyance. At any rate, you're scanning and that's good news! smile

That's my thought as well, Dan. I can live with that, considering I am able to both print and scan, now. It's not all that often that I have to scan something, but nice to be able to do so. That's one of the reasons I got the printer, as I liked the flatbed scanner, rather than the one I had with the HP T-45.

Regards,

zenarcher

Well I actually have a flatbed and a seperate printer, but I remember a post on this a while back. I have thought about getting a combo unit, maybe today, since I have some Staples gift cards to use.

I do remember reading an article about this a while back, as well.

Maybe a couple of shell scripts, one to turn on and another to turn off sane. Not the best solution, but a little better than switching back and forth via a console.

Well, I guess it's not all that big of a hassle and I'm not adept enough with Linux to know about shell scripts, danleff.

I used to have a separate scanner and printer, but that was quite a long time ago. I went this way with the combo unit about six or seven years ago, trying to clear some desk space. One of the same reasons I went with the flat LCD monitor. I have a huge "L" shaped desk, but I still manage to clutter it up and most free space left on it ends up being occupied by our three black cats, who sleep on top of printers, computers and any other flat surface.

It just seems strange to me, especially since HP is fairly well supported with Linux, that the problem has not been addressed. It seems that the problem does not exist with high end HP units. It seems to me that these lower priced units would be the ones most often purchased by the average person. For example, this PSC 1401 is one of the "Wal-Mart Sales Items," right now. Wal-Mart is selling them for $49.95...you couldn't even buy two new print cartridges for that price, so I know a lot of them must sell. They are stacked to the ceiling in the local Wal-Mart and have been selling like mad. Due to the popularity of this and other similar models, it would really be nice to see an effort made for compatibility.

Regards,

zenarcher

I'm certainly no shell script guru, but maybe something like this would work...

#!/bin/bash

/usr/sbin/ptal-init start |

xsane

You could put it in your home directory and call it scannerstart.

Make an icon on your desktop with the command:

[code]sh scannerstart.

...or some such thing. Just an idea... smile

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:
I'm certainly no shell script guru, but maybe something like this would work...

#!/bin/bash

/usr/sbin/ptal-init start |

xsane

You could put it in your home directory and call it scannerstart.

Make an icon on your desktop with the command:

[code]sh scannerstart.

...or some such thing. Just an idea... smile

Dan, I sort of understand what you're saying with the shell script, but I have one other question. How would I then turn it off, after I finished scanning, so I could print again?

Thanks,

zenarcher

Afterthought: I may have just been having a dumb moment here, Dan....I would probably create another one with "Stop" instead of "Start." Would that be correct?

zenarcher

That should work. Yes, another script to stop the service, just as Dan noted.

I just bought an HP Officejet 6210 this am. I am going to try the HP drivers with it and post my results.

I don't know what it is, but I'm sure there is a way to include code into what I posted above to shutdown ptal-init and xsane when you exit out of, "scannerstart."

If you were going to create another shell script to shut it down, you would leave off the xsane part.

Sure whish I knew more about shell scripts. I never seem to be able to find the time to study up on it though...

Dapper

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
That should work. Yes, another script to stop the service, just as Dan noted.

I just bought an HP Officejet 6210 this am. I am going to try the HP drivers with it and post my results.

Ahh...you probably have one of the units that is totally compatible, danleff. I sure hope so. For some reason, I vaguely recall that the 6000 series was quite compatible.

Regards,

zenarcher

Quote:
I don't know what it is, but I'm sure there is a way to include code into what I posted above to shutdown ptal-init and xsane when you exit out of, "scannerstart."

If you were going to create another shell script to shut it down, you would leave off the xsane part.

Sure whish I knew more about shell scripts. I never seem to be able to find the time to study up on it though...

Dapper

Okay....I think I understand that part pretty well. The commands I use in a terminal, as su, are:

/usr/sbin/ptal-init start (that makes the scanner usable)

/usr/sbin/ptal-init stop (that stops the scanner and makes the printer usable again)

Now, what I'm not sure about. I know how to use vi to edit something...but I'm not real sure what I use to create the scripts, as you mention. Perhaps you could clarify that for me. Also, I'm figuring I would "Save As," when I finish them, putting them in the Home Directory. I guess "ScannerStart" and "ScannerStop" would be good names?

Regards,

zenarcher

Those names would be fine. It really doesn't matter what editor you use. Kate, Gedit will do. You will have to run as root so you could put, kdesu before the command so it will ask for root password.

Quote:
Those names would be fine. It really doesn't matter what editor you use. Kate, Gedit will do. You will have to run as root so you could put, kdesu before the command so it will ask for root password.

Okay Dan, I'm having another dumb moment. I'm not real sure as to where I would put kdesu. I know you said before the command, but could you please clarify for me? Would that be the very first line, or would it be right before the /usr/sbin/ptal-init start |

Regards,

zenarcher

Here is is an article about kdesu usage.

Yes zenarcher, you are right, my HP Officejet 6210 works in Fedora using the HP provided drivers. The scanner works in xsane, as well.

Nice!

Thanks for the info, danleff. I did write the script and put it in my home directory, but couldn't figure out how to make it work. I'll probably just stay with doing the process through the terminal, as I understand that and it works quite easily.

Great on the combo unit working for you! The HP OfficeJet T-45 worked fine both printing and scanning through XSANE with Mandriva for me...the problem only exists with SUSE...both in 9.3 and 10.0. I think it's a tradeoff, of some sort. Mandriva was impossible for setting up my SATA RAID0 array. No way to do that except using mdadm and not even the guy who maintains that could explain how to actually do so. With SUSE, it takes about two minutes or less, during the installation, and you have SATA RAID0 up and running exactly as it should. As such, I'll stay with the SUSE and put up with the minor annoyance for scanning with SANE. Since it worked fine with Mandriva and probably Fedora, I'd have to guess that it's something SUSE could fix, if they so desired to do so.

Regards,

zenarcher

The PSC 1400 series isn't supported until hplip 0.9.5. For the scanner, I installed hplip 0.9.7 from source (not an RPM in sight unfortunately), and after restarting hplip and cups YAST had no problem properly detecting my PSC 1417 as a scanner. I ran a few tests, and everything seems to be working fine. For the printer part I just downloaded the PSC 1400 series PPD file, although I think the PSC 1310 driver will work as well.

Originally posted by phulshof:

Quote:
The PSC 1400 series isn't supported until hplip 0.9.5. For the scanner, I installed hplip 0.9.7 from source (not an RPM in sight unfortunately), and after restarting hplip and cups YAST had no problem properly detecting my PSC 1417 as a scanner. I ran a few tests, and everything seems to be working fine. For the printer part I just downloaded the PSC 1400 series PPD file, although I think the PSC 1310 driver will work as well.

That's good to know about hplip 0.9.7. I also downloaded and installed the PSC 1400 series PPD file. I heard the PSC 1310 driver would work, as well, but decided to do the download just the same. Thanks for the info!

Regards,

zenarcher