Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
docdestructo62

Verizon DSL slows down P2P after the trial period is over.

I use Kazaa Lite K++ and it has no spyware at all. Using my laptop and a wireless router, I connect at 54 Mbps with Verizon DSL. Download speeds on Kazaa were sometimes over 200 K for the first month. I could leave Kazaa on overnight and the next morning, big files would be all finished loading. I am paying 14.95 per month for Verizon for a year. I think it was because of the new deal with Yahoo that it's so cheap. I signed up near the beginning of October with the understanding that I could quit any time during the first month. After the month ended, the connection speed stayed the same, but Kazaa slowed to a crawl. Kazaa also gets kicked off after about 15 minutes if i don't check back to it. Browsing remains quick but only if Kazaa is shut down. If Kazaa is open, browsing also is slow. This sounds like a clue to me, even though I'm mostly clueless about how it all works. It looks like Verizon knows how to pretty much shut down file sharing. Today, I started using edonkey200lite and it is also slow but at least it doesn't get kicked off every 15 mins. Is there some way to thwart verizon on this. It is definitely a bait and switch scheme.

Perhaps there is a bigger issue at hand.

Have you tried playing any online games, be it subscription based or free, without using any kind of P2P app what so ever ?!?

I would be curious if these too act the same way without any P2P apps running just to verify that this is a connection issue with the ISP or something else happening that could pinpoint the cause of this slow down.

If you have similar throughput issues with online games then I think it maybe an ISP issue and you then need to contact Verizon about this issue, however, only mention the online game or games that you play and not the P2P apps wink

The fact that web browsing seems to work without any P2P apps may also help to pinpoint this slow down issue.

No, it doesn't happen with games. It only happens with file sharing. Downloading apps from websites goes very quickly. Games are quick. Everything is blinding fast (54 mbps) on my laptop until i open a p2p program. Then, even though the downloads and uploads combined are only a trickle (under 10k), everything internet related slows down. As soon as I quit the p2p, everything is imediately fast again. The SOBs definitely aren't willing to deliver the bandwidth for p2p. Everything else seems to be fine.

Kazaa ports are blocked now by most ISP so I suspect that it is your ISP that has it set to kill your connection or slow it down so much untill you just stop using the P2P app.

S

that is easy to fix: do not use ports 6800 to 6999

reconfigure your client appropriately.

i use verizon and have never experienced a "slow down" for any

reason other than link congestion (or service interruption).

The slow-down is very specific. There isn't nearly enough traffic on the p2p programs to slow the internet connection down. I tried setting the rate to a very slow limit but it didn't help at all. Verizon is blocking the ports, I guess. Does anybody know how to configure kazaa or edonkey to use different ports? I've never done this sort of thing so I would appreciate very specific help.