Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bayford

Borland Paradox 7.0

Having recently upgraded my main system to enable the playing of current high spec games, I am using Paradox 7.0 on the machine which runs Windows XP Home. The database works fine BUT if I try and change the size of a form I get a "General Protection Error" and Paradox closes down. All of the other design controls appear to work fine, (although I can't guarantee I've tried them all).

Anybody got any ideas?

Try right clicking on the Paradox executable, go into the properties, and running in different compatibility modes. I believe there is an NT compatible mode and possibly a Windows 98 mode which would be the first ones to try.

Thanks for that - I've tried the compability options, results as follows:

NT4 mode - Paradox runs OK, editor problem remains.

Win98 mode - Paradox will not start - "Could not initialize BDE: insufficent shared memory available"

Win95 mode - as for Win98

Win2000 mode - Paradox runs BUT dialog boxes have anaonymous buttons that don't work!

(As an aside if I load the forms into 'Paradox for Windows' [V 4.5] I can change the form sizes OK, so it's not a problem with the forms themselves.)

Found this on one of the Paradox support pages:

http://www.bdesupport.com/errors.htm

"Insufficient memory for this operation" ($2501)

Problem: Your application (or another BDE application) has exhausted the memory available to the BDE.

Solution:

1) Close all BDE applications.

2) Find the program BDEADMIN.EXE. This is usually in a directory somewhere under "\Program Files\Borland...".

3) Run BDEADMIN.EXE and click on the Configuration tab.

4) There should be an item in the treeview on the left side called "Configuration". If it's not expanded, expand it.

5) Next, expand the System entry below it. Under System, select INIT.

6) In the right-side window, find the entry called "SHAREDMEMSIZE". Change this value to 4096.

7) Next, click on the word "Object" in the main window's menu bar, and select Apply.

8) Answer "OK" to the confirmation to "Save all edits...".

You can now try to start your application again. If you still have trouble running the application and you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, follow the same instructions above, but this time leave the SHAREDMEMSIZE property at 4096, and change the SHAREDMEMLOCATION property to "0x5BDE". Then apply the changes as before, and retry your application. If you still receive the same error, try changing SHAREDMEMSIZE to 8192. If the error continues to persist, you can also try "0x6BDE" for SHAREDMEMLOCATION. If the error still continues to persist, you can also try other values for SHAREDMEMLOCATION. (See solution for error $210D below.)

"Shared memory conflict ($210D)

Problem: The BDE is trying to use a location in memory that is already in use by the operating system or another application.

Solution:

1) Close all BDE applications.

2) Find the program BDEADMIN.EXE. This is usually in a directory somewhere under "\Program Files\Borland...".

3) Run BDEADMIN.EXE and click on the Configuration tab.

4) There should be an item in the treeview on the left side called "Configuration". If it's not expanded, expand it.

5) Next, expand the System entry below it. Under System, select INIT.

6) In the right-side window, find the entry called "SHAREDMEMLOCATION". Change this value to 5BDE.

7) Next, click on the word "Object" in the main window's menu bar, and select Apply.

8) Answer "OK" to the confirmation to "Save all edits...".

Other values that may also help solve this issue on NT or Windows 2000 are: 1000, 7000, and 7F00. If none of these values resolve the issue, you may try 2000, 3000, 4000, etc. or any values in between the specified ranges below for each operating system:

Windows 95/98: SHAREDMEMLOCATION = 9000 to FFFF

Windows NT/2000: SHAREDMEMLOCATION = 1000 to 7F00

It has also been reported by some users that removing or disabling the driver for a sound card on Windows NT can resolve the issue as well, but normally just "relocating" the BDE's memory pool using the SHAREDMEMLOCATION setting will suffice.