Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iks

SPDIF output interrupted (silenced) from a time to time...

Hello there,

I have P4 (800 MHz FSB, 1MB L2), 512MB Dual Channel DDR and QDI P4I865PENovo Motherboard with Onboard ALC655 6 Channel CODEC (20-bit Stereo Codec, S/PDIF header onboard, Support Dolby Digital AC-3 audio).

I am runnind Windows XP SP2, I have installed FFDSHOW and AC3 Filter.

So I hooked up my SPDIF output to my Yamaha reciever via Coaxial cable.

Then I set in my AC97 Audio Configuration SPIF output to "Digital Only".

Now I can hear music playing, Yamaha says that the music is comming from digital coaxial input and everything is fine to this point.

But the music playback is interrupted (silenced) for a secong or maybe two every three to ten seconds.

It looks something like this if I try to draw it - 1 is normal music playback for one second and 0 is one second silence:

Does anybody know why am I experiencing this?

I have tried everything to fix this:

- Reinstalled WindowsXP,

- Changed audio drivers from first to last version,

- Changed Motherboard through warrianty support so I get the same vendor and same sound chip...

- I have also disabled sound hardware and tried with Creative SB Value and I get the same results...

- I shortened Coax cable to 2 meters...

... and nothing helped.

I am running out of ideas and my nerves so please, can somebody help me?

Thanks,

-Andrej

I'm sure you said it before. Does normal audio sound correctly?

Is this a pro music computer? As in running cakewalk Sonar or something?

Are you using mid to upper level audio cards? M-Audio (and a few others) are designed for pro audio. Creative and what not are mere consumer (generic) sound cards.

Now, I do know that creative is a leader in sound cards, but compared to some of the HIGH-END sound cards out there, creative sucks. Professionally speaking. As in music studios.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer first of all... smile

Well this is just an usual home computer and I would just like to play some music/movies using it... It is not supposed to be anything professional... just for home use...

The sound card is nothing special... just some Realtek (ALC655) Audio Codec '97 (AC97)... But it has a S/PDIF, digital out and as it has it, it shuld work as it is supposed to...

I also tried playing music over Creative sound board, but the playback was the same... frown

The normal, analog audio is playing without any problem...

Thanks again,

-Andrej