Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tucker

Codename: Outbreak on windows XP

Does anyone know if Codename Outbreak 95/98 will work on windows XP? There is an Xp version out I think, but the one I am thinking about buying only says 95/98. Would the compatability mode in windows XP make this game work on XP?

Since NT, err, XP is based on the NT kernel, you MAY be able to run it, due to extra compatibility code built in. The run in compatibility may work on this situation. But, since this is an iffy situation, you may want to go ahead an get the xp version.

Yes it should work with no problems. I have the original version and I updated it to 2.1 and it plays without a hitch, didn't even need to put it in 95/98 compatibility mode. I am running XP Pro with a FX5600 card and a 2.0ghz AMD, I also have a Soundblaster LIVE card. The game isn't even processor dependent (as in: "it runs too fast on a newer PC"). Running in the game is a tiny bit fast, but managable. You have a walk option that helps if it's too fast for you. Would also say not to give up on the game if you have not got to mission 3. The first two missions give you a really wrong idea of the game, but from mission 3 onwards you will be surprised at the change and the enjoyment factor compared with the first two missions.

Good luck with the game. Hope the above helps!