Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sheff

Computer keeps restarting please help!!!

im not great with computers but ive been trying to fix a problem and failed, when my computer turns on and you log in, after about 3 seconds it restarts and i can do nothing. when i try to restart it in safe mode it fails and just takes me back to advanced startup options. when i tried the disable automatic restart on system failure, it went for 3 seconds 1ce logged in, then crashed, but instead of restarting it went to some blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL i really need to fix this problem but im out of ideas. i havent installed any hardware recently and i use windows xp. i think it might be a virus or malware but i dont know. PLEASE help!

thanx

A virus (or malware) that shuts down the computer? Don't see how that would be any use to anyone.

As you can't get into windows (even in safe mode) my best advice is to boot from disc and repair installation.

how do you boot from a disk? and what would that achieve? and would i lose all my data? which disc do i boot from

i really have no idea what im doing

So, I take it you're running XP Pro/Home?

An error stating IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL usually means a RAM problem, either your physical RAM sticks, or a RAM prob with your vidcard. You can't boot in safe mode, so I suggest going into your BIOS when you bootup, then setting your system to "Fail Safe Defaults".

Generally, holding down the "delete" or "insert" key while booting up will get you into the BIOS. I have more options for you, but let's start with the simple stuff, and work our way up to the PITA stuff. smile