Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
m_phoenix83

Adding a subwwofer!

Hey all.

My audio setup is the basic, at present, with just 2 crap speakers on my desk. So in the attempt to boost my sound that little bit, I had just recently got hold of a sub woofer. It’s a SONY SA-WMS215 (if that helps!). Now I have cheated a little bit to get this Sub. I have "temporarily borrowed" (not nicked it!) from my parents 5.1 setup in the front room.

I wish to add it to my PC to give it a bit of a kick up the ass in sound. Its absolute beast of a SUB and it performs magnificently! So I wish to have it for my PC!

My sound card is on-board and the driver is Realtek Audio AC97, I have the port on the back of the PC tower to plug it in, and I do get some sound from it, although, it’s not the sound I expected. It’s a kind of muffled sound that the 2 front speakers give. So I know it’s not configured properly.

Basically, I know I need to alter some options/config/setup in terms of software on my PC to make this Sub work. But I don’t know how! It’s turned out Not to be a Plug and Play kinda thing!

Any help on this situation would be great.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this, and help! Very much appreciated!

Phoenix smilesmile

Open your control panel, double-click on "Sounds and Audio Devices", at the bottom of the Volume tab, click advanced beside "Speaker Settings", in the new window, select "5.1 Surround Sound Speakers".

You should have a graphic equalizer somewhere in your sound settings, hunt around for it, I have onboard Realtek, it's under "Sound Effects". This is not the best "sound card" you'll ever have, but it can sound decent with a little tweaking. Update your drivers for the onboard too, go to your mobo manufacturer's site, they'll have the latest drivers.

If you need help up[censored], post some info on your mobo, and we'll fix you up. smile

Hey relic.

thanks for your quick response..i'll keep my eye on this page every 5 mins, and what info do you need on my mobo?

would a copy of my dxdiag be helpful?

Phoenix wink

i have done as instructed (via control panel) but to no avail!

I have sent u my dxdiag hoping that it will help!

Any other suggestions?

Phoenix

Man man! It's 7am here, and I'm off to work right now, but I'll be back later. As for the mobo, we need the model of your computer, if it's a factory job, Dell/HP/Gateway, we need the model # for the system.

If it's a custom system, mobo manufacturer and model number.

I'll be back after work, hopefully it rains today, and I get off early, Fridays are always good for goin home early, beer is a good thing. laugh

With most onboard audio you set the software to 5.1 or 6 channel then use the light blue connection (normally line in) for the bass/center speaker.

hey zombie.

i know what ur saying, and i wish it was that easy but its not on mine! (for some reason!)

this confusion has led me to my manufacture's website, 1 very expensive (premium rate) telephone call, and many friends of mine are stumped! i wont buy a new audio card, out of principal, not to mention the fact that i am skint, too!

everyones help on this would be brilliant! although i have noticed one thing.....

THE PORT THAT I PLUG THE SUBWOOFER INTO IS LABELED 'SPDIF', and when i go to alter the volume of this, it is faded out (by default) so i can't manuallly change it!

anyone have anything to say regarding SPDIF?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Phoenix wink

SPDIF is a digital output, you can't send it out to a speaker.

SPDIF is also called coax digital audio

You have to plug that sub into an analog output.

The output that your normal left and right speakers are comming from is analog. You can buy a jack splitter and run it that way, with an adapter to go from mini headphone jack to coax RCA.

On most AC97 devices, you can assign the microphone or the line-in jack to output different digital channels, but there are countless different drivers and menu layouts so there is not going to be a quick guide to tell you where to go.

Thanks to relic, ruffneck19111 and others for contributing to this thread!

this has had me over a barrel this past week, with my head up my ars but now, obviuosly with help from you guys, i have solved the problem and can listen to my favourite movies with a lovely injection of some 'solid bass'!

Thanks to all.

Phoenix wink

ps: Im now off to the shops to buy something that i can watch with my bass speakers turned up, oh so VERY LOUD!

smilesmilesmilesmilesmile

m_phoenix83

hi m8t i have the same sub i dont no how meny watts it is i no the amp in it is 45 watt i have a good system i have that sub in my computer because i use a software called bpm its a lot of money but i have a soundblaster live sound card and i have that sub in it and a jvc amp that aint the best its old and i have 2 jbl 280 watt each in it and 2 sony 60 watt i dont have in at the mo i need a new amp im looking 4 1 like i used 2 have i haved a sherwood and befor that a sony and befor that i had a technics iv have over realy ood amp im looking 4 a technis prolojic 2 or a yammaha prlojic 2 i have a yamha but its brock i have 2 mitions in my attick but ther old i have msn its superman_7777@homail.co.uk i think i have 2 tell you 1 of the best setups sound wise was 2 acoustic 190 watt floorstandings on a technics amp no sub no nowt i have a box room and i took it down stairs in ma moms big room and it sounds helish no distortion no sound of me pushing them to hard even no i was but i also put them on a sherwood amp and they were the best 4 big room small technics and ma acoustics big room sherwood and ma acoustics then i thought i wouldupgrade 2 2 280watt jbl bookshelf there thery big 4 bookshelf on ma sherwood and i have 2 missoins and a clubspeaker 2000wat as a sub and ma acoustis in ma room because its so small i had them all distorting so m8t get a set of nice 300watt or lower for a small room on a technics amp with that subb and you will be laffing but your nabers wont i have trubble wive myn 4 doors down plz if you have msn add mi addy again it is superman_7777@hotmail.co.uk and ill help you