Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

How do I Remove?

I just downloaded and installed the most recent kernel for FC4. I now have 4 kernels in my grub menu, and in my computer as well. Now , going with the philosophy that "if 1 is good, 2 MUST be better" , 4 seems a little exessive! Could someone explain to me how to find and remove these "extra" kernels that I have, but most likely really don't need. This is the one thing I really liked about SuSE, it automatically removed source packages after an update. I am using yum for my updater, up2date just didn't work real well for me.

Many Thanks

Justbill

The extra entries are left in Grub, in case the new kernel does not boot for some reason. You can edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to either comment out the entries that you do not want, or delete them. I would comment out the lines, in case you make an error editing. I would leave the failsafe entries intact, in case you ned to recover or troubleshoot any issues later on.

When you have FC4 up, make sure that you know what the current kernel is that you are running. Type in uname -r and make note of the current kernel.

Comment out the lines in the menu.lst file for the grub entries that you want out, starting with the "title" line, like such;

#title.....

#kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinux (the kernel version to comment out)

#initrd (hd0,0)....

On your next grub boot, these lines will be ignored.