Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Netmaniac100

Sound CARDS not working (Any of them!!)

Hi Guys... I wonder if you can help me. This is what happened to me:

I was trying to configure an old TV Tuner Card but couldn´t find any good driver for it (VHXtreme) and one of those drivers locked my windows XP and it didnt booted any more... so I had to reinstall (I didnt want to loose my previos windows so I chose "repair installation" in the WinXp setup). The problem is that after that, everithing worked fine but my sound card. I have a PCCHIPS 955G motherboard with a AC97 embedded card that didnt work any more. So, I tryed installing a SB Live 5.1 that I had but it didnt work neither. The weir thing is that both cards appear with no problems in the device manager, as if them both where working fine but in the Multimedia icon of control panel I cant see any of them, just like if there where no soun card installed!! This problem has been breaking my head for a few days... Can anybody help me? Ive already tryed deinstalling and reisntalling their drivers, up[censored] to the latest versions and nothing. Installations works fine, gives no problems but any card seems to work. HELP PLEASE!!!

Gustavo.O. ;(

Have you tried clearing your CMOS, then seeing if your soundcard comes up?

Yeah... Ive tried that too... Sound card is always there. XP always recognizes and installs it but no sound! Any other idea???

Gustavo.O.

Originally posted by Netmaniac100:

Quote:
Yeah... Ive tried that too... Sound card is always there. XP always recognizes and installs it but no sound! Any other idea???

Gustavo.O.

Okay, remove the soundcard through the device manager. Reboot, then DON'T allow XP to install the driver, click CANCEL. Dwnld this driver, scroll down to the RealTek Sound Driver, 1/2 way down the page: http://210.17.27.3/PCCWeb/Products/Produ...ailName=Driver. Install this driver, which is the correct one for your mobo. Lemme know how it works out, I do believe the Windoze/XP driver is throwing a wrench into the gears.

Hi Relic... I followed the procedure that you you described, but nothing. Finally Ive lost my last hope... I think I will have to make a clean install of windows. But before doing that, do you have any last idea? Might this be a generic problem with WinXP and some cards? This same problem happened to me with a client´s machine some time ago. Got any clue? Its weird because no card that I install gets to work (Ive tryed also an SB live 5.1 and an old Zoltrix PCI but naaa....!)

Thanks a lot

Gustavo.O. ;(

Just to cover all the bases, you've gone to "sounds and audio devices" in the control panel, and the sound is not muted, right? Sometimes, the simple things can bite your azz.

I've rebuilt my system after upgrading a slew of parts, and could not get it to boot. Swapped wires to the switches, disconnected just about everything, gave up and decided the PSU was dead. When I pulled the PSU, I realized I had not plugged the ATX connector into the mobo in the first place. I spent a 45 minutes troubleshooting this sytem, and all along, the mobo just wasn't plugged in.

My wife still finds that very amusing. Okay, so do I, I've had my system apart a hundred times with all the mods I've done to the tower, but man, I really blew it there, heh heh heh. laugh

One other thing, after clearing the CMOS, onboard sound was enabled in the BIOS, correct? If it's the onboard sound giving you the prob, when you disable it in the BIOS, a PCI sound card should work.

Very annoying, now this prob is bugging me. ;(

If you do decide to reinstall XP, no need for a clean install, just repair the install you have, that's the second time the "repair" or "R" shows up when you boot from the CD. The first time around, XP asks if you want to repair from the "Recovery Console", you don't want to do that. Second time the "R" option comes up, you repair XP by installing it again, but you don't lose any saved files/games/programs. Goes through the motions of a fresh install, just doesn't lose anything on you. I'd try that option before formatting and losing everything.

Anyhow, I hope it's something simpler than that. Let us know what happens. smile