Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chief301

USB connector for an old Sidewinder FFB joystick?

Hi folks!

I'm new to this site and I wonder if anyone can tell me my options if I have an original Sidewinder FFB joystick with a game port connector that used to plug into the back of my SONY Vaio computer. I just bnought a new DELL XPS 400 MCE and of course it ony takes USB hookups. Where can I get a conversion plug to allow me to connect my joystick?

Any help is appreaciated.

I do believe a coversion plug will cost you anywhere from $25 to $50, and a new joystick will run you $25, for a halfway decent one anyhow. I scooped a Logitech Attack3 for $25, works bonus, and no drivers required. smile

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,crid=2221,contentid=6953,detail=2

I had a digital Force Feedback stick at one time, it didn't last long, and I wasn't impressed by it in the first place, personally, I think FF is overated. smile

Thanks, Relic for the quick comeback. I was afraid that is my best solution if a conversion cable is more than $20 bucks or so. I'm also looking to adapt my HP 722c printer and HP 5100c scanner and that will be about $35 bucks each. The lesson here is not to wait 10 years to update your system!!

I have a ton of conversion plugs, if you're anywhere near Ontario, Canada, lemme know exactly what kind of plugs you need. I have mouse adapters, printer adapters, man, you name it, I probably have it, and I don't use them, they sit in a box collecting dust. Even if you're in the US, shipping will only be like $3, I'll cover it, not a prob. smile

If you can take a pic of the plug you want to convert from, or find a pic online, I'll let you know if I have the converter. wink

Hi there. Maybe you should look at the box of your joystick (If you still have it...) cuz the latest models of the sidewinder came with a bundled USB adaptor (15female -> USB). If not, you can check in RadioShack.

Greetings.

Gustavo.O.

Originally posted by Netmaniac100:

Quote:
Hi there. Maybe you should look at the box of your joystick (If you still have it...) cuz the latest models of the sidewinder came with a bundled USB adaptor (15female -> USB). If not, you can check in RadioShack.

Greetings.

Gustavo.O.

His joystick is maybe 10 years old, heh heh heh, no USB adaptor in that box.

wink

Thanks fellows for the options. Relic, you're right about the age of my joystick...I don't think USB was even invented when I bought around '95! I'm going to try Radio Shack to see if i can get what I need first. I'll keep your offer in mind if I still need to use my old printer and scanner instead of buying a new All-In-One unit. Thanks again for your input.

You're welcome, and not a prob chief, we're all here to help each other out. smile

Hey Relic, so you are shipping free conversion plugs for old Joysticks? I have recently acquired an old Performance PC Mission SV-200 Joystick. It has two horizontal rows of prongs, it's the male type, with 15 pins (8 on top, 7 on bottom) and I only have a 9 pin male plug at the back of my computer... I also have several USB ports.