Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LMS79

Intel D915PBL (775 3.4GHz) + PSU Question

Hi!

New user, 1st post.

I've just purchased an Intel D915PBL MB and am wondering about this ALTERNATE POWER CONNECTOR.

I have a 450 Watt PSU and it doesn't have one of these connectors.

Can I simply use one of the IDE power connectors?

It has a 20-pin power source, but I have a 20-pin to 24-pin adapter. I read somewhere that if 24-pin connector is used, you don't need the alternate power connector attached. Would this be true even though I'd be using the 20-pin to 24-pin adapter?

I'm still waiting on my RAM and Video card to arrive before I hook this up. Just wanna make sure I don't need to buy a new PSU as well, and possibly destroy the MB/CPU/RAM.

So, can I use the IDE power cable as the ALTERNATE POWER CONNECTOR?

Or

Can I use the 20-pin to 24-pin Power Source Adapter and skip the ALTERNATE POWER?

Or

Do I need to buy a new PSU altogether?

Any help is appreciated.

Personally, I wouldn't screw around with an adapter, I'd just scoop a new PSU, this is a brand new system you're putting together, why risk it? I bought a generic 500watt PSU 3 months ago, the rails are rock solid, 775 compatible, and it cost me all of $25 Canadian.

If I was putting together a new system, I'd go with a name brand PSU, but having said that, I'm very impressed with this generic puppy. smile

This is what I figured. Which sucks, cuz I'm broke now (also bought a 60GB Photo iPod - upgraded my 20GB) So I have to wait about another week (ugh) to get the new PSU.

What generic brand did you pick up?

I was looking at the SkyHawk/Eagle 520 Watt for about $46 USD.

Originally posted by LMS79:

Quote:
This is what I figured. Which sucks, cuz I'm broke now (also bought a 60GB Photo iPod - upgraded my 20GB) So I have to wait about another week (ugh) to get the new PSU.

What generic brand did you pick up?

I was looking at the SkyHawk/Eagle 520 Watt for about $46 USD.

Middle of the page, "Elitech 500", only $34.99CA at this place. smile

http://www.cas-tech.ca/products.asp?L1=823

As I said, it's rock solid, according to MBM, it's never dropped below it's stated rates, it's always slightly over, which is a good thing.