Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nkkabra

Remote control of PC

I have a high speed internet connection available on my Office PC.How can I work on Office PC thru Home PC by connecting the 2 by Dial up Modem connection.

I ahve tried pcAnywhere but failed as I am not aware of required settings.

I will be obliged if anyone can help me.

Just connect ensure both are attached to the internet, run realvnc on your work machine and forward the realvnc port from your office firewall to your office workstation.

Then load realvnc on your home machine and access the IP or your office network.

The above works really nice but I would recommend implimenting a VPN between home and the office to ensure no one else can do the same.

Other solutions are to do the same as above but impliment a dial-up connection between a server on your site and your home workstation. Then run the tcpip protocol over the dialup connection and then realvnc will run over your tcpip connection.

Running Realvnc allows only screen shots to be transitted over the tcpip protocol.

Word to the wise, running ANYTHING over dialup is slow. Your best and most speedly sollution still is PCAnywhere. You might try relooking at that solution, I have used it lots and found it to be very reliable, as well lots of other folks us PC Anywhere so its a proven solution. Remember you need the server and client part of the software. Both pieces usually ship with a working copy.

If the machines use XP or Server 2003, Remote Desktop works great and is included.

For an older computer, use a VNC program (I use TightVNC) Be aware that text is sent unencrypted, so it's not secure over the internet. VPN would be a good way to protect either remote control communication.