Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sinluan

Temporary Internet Folder Gone Gonzo!

Running XP Pro SP2 and all of a sudden my Temp Internet Files folder (Doc&Settings/MyName/LocalSettings/TempInternetFiles) has become seriously bloated - 676MB - but I literally cannot see any of it. Of course, in folder options I have everything set to full reveal but the folder is stark staring empty. Checking the folder's Properties I find that there are 383 files and 9 folders but they're as good as invisible and untouchable.

Is this kosher? I'm a recent convert from Win2K and I never had any issues like this. Please advise me, if you would be so kind.

My recycle bin gets like that when it's very full, all the files are in there, but can't be seen. Not a prob, just clean them out, temp files just take up space, you won't harm anything by dumping them smile

Firstly try adding the following to the address in the explorer bar

\content.ie5

So you have something like

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

That may show you a little more of those 9 folders

Curiosity aside - you have a cache out-of-control-situation which has been a problem with IE for a while.

To resolve it (for a while) resist the temptation to delete all in sight as it just confuses the (probably also bloated) index.dat file even more. Create a new user (mechanic), make that user an administrator, Restart and logon to that account. you can now delete the whole temporary Internet files folder under your normal profile (c: Documents and settins etc) and when you re-login as you all will be recreated in rather better shape

HTH

B

Originally posted by Relic:

Quote:
Or just head over here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and get FireFox. Much faster browsing, rock solid, I used to b an IE fan, now I'm hooked of FF. You can import all your bookmarks over from IE when you install

Yeah, that's a great suggestion. Except that most people will want to use a browser that can actually, you know, render pages.