Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Carlos107

BT Broadband help.

Firstly i apologise if i'm being a moron and have posted this in the wrong place. I have only had my home PC about amonth and have 2meg broadband with BT. All has been working ok but last night i had an error (680) with connecting claiming there was no dial tone to be found. A conversation with BT (premium rate!!) advised me that my 10 metre modem extension cable was too long and the cause of the problem. I bought a new cable and still no joy. I will, if i have to up-root the whole pc and move it down stairs to gain access to the phone line without the extension if it comes to it. My question is why was it ok and now all of a sudden a problem? Are BT talking c**p. I have un-installed and re-installed my modem and still no joy. Please help i'm technically challenged and cant get anywhere. I browse these forum and see most problems answered!!!

I haven't used a dialup connection in many years, but remember some of the possible problems. Have you tried connecting a telephone to the end of the extension, you plug into the modem, to see if you have a dial tone, with a telephone? Possibly, you have no signal at the end of that extension line. Also, there is a possibility of a poor connection at the telepone junction box, causing a noisy line or loss of connection. If you get no dial tone with a telephone at that point, you might have to get telephone service there. I remember encountering a couple of times when there was a loose, corroded connection at the box, causing noise or a loss of signal.

Regards,

zenarcher

Hi,

Might be worth checking the ADSL filter which should be connected between the modem and the telephone outlet. I had a failure of my filter which was supplied with the BT modem. Costs about £5 to replace.