Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjstone03

Active Directory

how are yah. I've got a few questions about Active Directory, so I hope there are some experts out there.

1. After installing AD on a machine and pointing to itself for DNS, then creating another DC on same domain and site for replication/redundancy, should each machine point to itself for DNS and the other for secondary?

2. Once first site is up and running I decide to make a child domain on remote subnet. Do I install DNS first or after promotion? After installation, if I want the remote site to go through first site to internet, do I have to configure DNS forwarding and put in those DC's as forwarders? If so, should I use recursion or no? Then do the DC's on the first site forward DNS requests with recursion to ISP DNS servers?

Sorry if this sounds absolutely insane, but it's driving me nuts thinking about it. Oh yeah-another problem...

When I initially tried this I could not log onto the remote DC after promotion(promoted using the enterprise admin account while logged in with local admin account). Why wouldn't that work?

My head was about to explode the other night troubleshooting this stuff.

>1. After installing AD on a machine and pointing to itself for DNS, then creating another DC on same domain and site for replication/redundancy, should each machine point to itself for DNS and the other for secondary?

Preferably, yes. I also make DNS Active Directory integrated as well so it get replicated automatically.

>2. Once first site is up and running I decide to make a child domain on remote subnet. Do I install DNS first or after promotion? After installation, if I want the remote site to go through first site to internet, do I have to configure DNS forwarding and put in those DC's as forwarders? If so, should I use recursion or no? Then do the DC's on the first site forward DNS requests with recursion to ISP DNS servers?

Yes, always install DNS first before DCPromo'ing. Remember to configure DNS name in System control panel, computer name first so DNS ensures the server is part of that domain.

Configure forwards on child domains to point to parent domain, then point the parent domain forwards to the internet (ISP DNS). Think of DNS like a tree with branches further down and thats how it should work.