Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

How do you like the front page of NTCompatible? (Content)

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Personally, the various utilities catch my eye occasionally but I really don't care about 'em. The actual News is what catches my eye which is why I read Slashdot alot. I also think it would make the comment system alot more usefull if the main page primarily focused on news related items instead of tons of little utilities.

I'm Kinda wondering?

This is an interesting poll, but, how come I'm seeing a poll about NT Compatible , when I am viewing Linux Compatible? Is there something wrong with my machine or is this just an oddball occurance that the post made its way to this forum?

Justbill

heh. Nah, NT and Linux Compatible share Feedback forums since both forums share the same layout it makes sense.

Should have put Linux Compatible in the poll too...lemme see....

I tried multiple layouts over the last couple of months, but the current one (all daily news on a single page) seems to be the most preferred.

I guess the only way to make everyone happy is to add the ability to customize the layout. Something like that may be possible with the next version of the CMS system, but not with the current one.

Yeah, customization would be nice. I just hate to see the comment system go to waste. I see sites like slashdot\Ars Technica\warp2Search\any other site where the comment system is used to great effect...then you go to NT\LinuxCompatible and the front page changes so rapidly that there isn't much of a chance to comment.

It also invites people to discuss things, whereas the current system people just read through the page real fast (or use RSS...mabye), and then go to the links...

I'm sorry but the front page is a ugly mess, it's too long, there are no clearly defined sections, aside from the compatibilty section and the links to other parts. Someone really needs to sit down and redesign it or take it back to what it was. I get bored scrolling through trying to find what I need, sometimes posted twice, and it is dominated by Phillip and Bob, noone else can get a look in. if you take a look at techconnect or web2search you'll get an idea of how to present an attractive easy to use and informative site. Sorry but I'm setting my home page to something else....

ChrisC

Actually, a complete redesign is coming in the next few days. I am very close to finish the new templates.

Although I voted "leave it alone", that's mainly because I seldom see it. My link takes me here, then I click on the "forums" link, I only scroll down the front page by accident.

I think it's got a "message board" kind of look, which just doesn't interest me. Maybe I should have voted for "tabs", I'm not sure, but as it is, I just skip over it and head to the forums.

I have a "homepage" my browser opens to, Rogers.com, my isp. Has my local weather, my fave links in the sidebar, my local TV listings, up to date news, my personalized sports scores so I can follow the teams that I like, has links to my online storage, email accounts, the list goes on. So yeah, I have a homepage my browser is set to.

Sure beats the hell out of any default page that any browser opens up to.

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option that said, I fear change, I don't like the new page.

And that penguin would scare little children.

Actually, it seems too narrow, why are you conserving so much space at the sides?

BTW, I think a conservative approach to web layout is always a good idea, I personally prefer plain, simple and easy to navigate web pages.

Originally posted by tyga:

Quote:
Actually, it seems too narrow, why are you conserving so much space at the sides?

The colors could be easily changed after the new layout is using CSS for the style. The new layout is currently optimized for 1024 x 768, which is also the most used lowest screen resolution nowadays.

I will look into both it in the next few days and make a few adjustments here and there.

Philip, the colors are better and easier to read, well at least for me that is.

I do find that the columns are too narrow as well. Luckily Maxthon allows me to increase the text size pretty easily so I can view things better.

I know this is for content, but the page doesn't display correctly in Firefox 1.0.7. The sections are basically just listed, instead of being arranged as they are under IE6sp2.

The content is somewhat busy, but I run across usefil bits here and there.

-bZj

Interesting, it works fine here but Clutch had also some rendering problems in Firefox. Can you give me more details about your configuration (e.g. screen resolution, operating systems etc.).

I like it, much better than the old plain white page. White pages just bug me, too bright, and look like no real effort or thought was put into them.

May take me a bit to get used to, but I think it's cool, well done.

As the page now works on CSS would it be possible to choose what style sheet we use, similar to http://www.csszengarden.com/ that way we can either use this one, the old one or any that people write themselves. It could be saved in the cookie or profile.

What do you think?

Originally posted by felix:

Quote:
As the page now works on CSS would it be possible to choose what style sheet we use, similar to http://www.csszengarden.com/ that way we can either use this one, the old one or any that people write themselves. It could be saved in the cookie or profile.

This will be possible with the next version of the CMS system, which is coming in a few weeks.

Originally posted by Philipp:

Quote:
Interesting, it works fine here but Clutch had also some rendering problems in Firefox. Can you give me more details about your configuration (e.g. screen resolution, operating systems etc.).

FF1.0.7, XPPro, 12x10res.

I noticed today that if I go 'back', the page is displayed correctly. So, it may be a FF problem - but growing as it is, one that should be looked into.

Screenshot 1 (wacky layout), Screenshot 2 (after going 'back')

It does look nice when it displays correctly.

-bZj