Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
coolml81

Problem with IDE

Hello,

i just bought a cheap mobo for my sister (ECS KM400-M2)

i put everything together and started it up.. i usually use a floppy to format the drive, then i go to install windows 98 and then windows xp from there..

my problem is that after i install windows 98.. the computer would not recognize the IDE drives anymore. if i double click "my computer"... i put the hard drive on the primary master and i put the dvd-writer and the cd-burner on the secondary IDE port as master and slave respectively... now i can't install windows xp or any other driver because they are all on cd...

can somebody please tell me why the windows does not recognize this?

note: when i go to the control panel looking for new hardware.. the IDE port 2 shows up as not being installed does this mean i just need some drivers... something about "double fifo" (or something like it shows up)

any help will be appreciated... thanks in advance

First, whay don't you install windows xp directly, why bother with windows 98?

Can you boot from windows xp cd?

Try to remove dvd writer or cdrw from the secondary ide.

Check if you have secondary ide enabled in bios.

Hi. you can install XP directly even with only an upgrade disk -(You may choose to format or wipe the c: drive if it is clear of data, email files etc.) In any case just start the XP install by booting from the XP upgrade disk and show it the W98 disk you have when it asks for proof. Trust me it works and leaves less mess than upgrading a W98 launchpad :-)

DVD drives are wierd when mixed with bioses and windows. I would not believe it (or explain it) but numerous people say you need to make the DVD READER the secondary IDE MASTER in that type of configuration - so it must be true at least sometimes, and if you are having probs leave the Writer out of the case until the rest of it works . .

If still no joy try entering the bios and selecting default settings and re-boot

HTH