Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Harv

Philips cdrw800 drive not recognised properly

I am having a big problem here. I just switched to my new system that runs on windows xp pro, but it will not see my philips cdrw800. It does show a cd drive, a "generic dvd-rom scsi cdrom device" which it clearly is not. Not only that, but windows says that the said device works properly. Heh...it doesnt even show up in 'my computer but' still windows claims that all is well. I do not know how I could possibly solve this, as any re-install makes windows still give it that driver. If any of you know, please reply. I could seriously use my burner. frown

Your post is somewhat unclear. Did you have a different operating system on this computer and upgrade it or did you clean install and put XP pro on?

If you write click on My Computer from the Menu click on Properties, then click on the Hardware tab, then click on the Device Manager button, this will bring you to a screen and you should be able to see the CD. You can then explore the settings and determine if there is a conflict. Leaving aside how the CD is configured in BIOS as master or slave for the moment, you could delete this device and have Windows find the appropriate "driver" for your CD. Or you could optionally do this manually.

There is another trick with the registry in clearing out values there. Off the top of my head I can't remember it, but if deleting the device and re-installing doesn't work, I will try to find it.

Yes, it is a clean install and I have already tried deleting it out of the device manager so that windows starts searching for drivers. It shows up like a working device in the said manager. But an entirely wrong one, as it is not even capable of reading dvd's at all. Nevertheless, when examening the properties it shows nothing unusual, just what it shows with any well working piece of hardware. It is still not an available drive in 'my computer' though, which is ofcourse the most iritating part of it all. frown