Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sibrecat

can anyone help me recover my music files??

Hi i recently had a hard drive crash and had to replace it & reinstall xp. The problem is i had some music stored on another hard drive, i can see the files using explorer but when i try to run them i get this error message off media player

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

which when more information is clicked on it gives me

C00D11D2: Cannot access the file

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons: etc

any help would be greatly appreciated as i seem to have lost a lot of music frown

Try to check your hard drive with the help of the following command: chkdsk <your disk letter>: /f

Hello,

DataRecoveryWizard utility can help. Speaking about me, it was

easily able to restore lost partition, so I think you will

also find it quite useful. Really recommended tool, give it a try.

http://www.[censored].com/

Well, In my opinion one of 3 possibilities is taking place here

1.) The actual file(s) may somehow have been corrupted. This could be due to a failing hard drive, a bad file system, or a million other reasons. Suggested course of action: chkdsk /f <driveletter:> [as suggested by fpin]

2.) You may have encrypted the files in your old installation of windows. You would have to find a means to decrypt them. This is of course a difficult task since Windows encrypts the files with your old user name, and even if u use the same username and password, it would be very difficult to recover from this.

3.) Security Permission on the file(s) or partition. If you have access to an administrative acccount, AND if the partition in question is formatted with NTFS, you may mess with the security settings to allow all users fulle read/write/execute/special permissions.

I really REALLY hope its case #3, as that would be the easiest to fix.

I hope these suggestions help in some way.