Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Catdog02

Terminal services is doing my head in!

Sorry about the long post, but you guys are going to need all the facts...

I have 2 servers connection to five sites. Each site has a localised DSL connection end to end for traffic.

Both machines are 2003 server SP1.

All desktop machines connect to the servers via Microsoft Remote Desktop. Mostly XP machines.

So far, everything has been working to an acceptable standard except for one site.

Periodically, 1 user loses all of his desktop icons, they appear as a "default file" icon and won't link to the application.

The other user randomly loses her profile.

I have no idea what the problem is with the first user, no other client on any of the networks have the same problem.

The second users .DAT file seems to be the issue, it's locked by something when she logs off.

I have a very basic GPO in AD for basic rules, specific to the organisation, not the containers that I put each sites users in.

I've allowed multiple log ons in TS, It made no difference turning it off, but I thought it may be something to do with that - no.

I think I can rule out a virus, as these issues are only happening to to users, not the whole organistation.

Does anyone have ANY ideas they can offer?

Possibly a corrupt profile. Have you tried deleting their profiles on the servers? Also there are process monitors where you can see what it accessing the .DAT files...although it's probably Windows just getting hung on accessing the corrupted file.

Hey! An American Psycho fan...that is one of my favorite lines from the movie. Still need to find the book..haven't read it yet.

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
Possibly a corrupt profile. Have you tried deleting their profiles on the servers? Also there are process monitors where you can see what it accessing the .DAT files...although it's probably Windows just getting hung on accessing the corrupted file.

Hey! An American Psycho fan...that is one of my favorite lines from the movie. Still need to find the book..haven't read it yet.

The second user is definitely having .dat issues. I don't have the service.exe off the top of my head, but each time I try and remove her from it the system hangs and reboots.

I've set her up outside of the container her account was in and given her a new logon name. deleted some crap out of her h: drive and not added her to any of the exisitng groups that I have set up. I guess we'll see what happens...

As for the first user, I beleive I may be looking at a connection speed issue, that is the only difference between this site and the others - its only half the speed (but there aren't even half as many users).

An upgrade is scheduled, guess I'm going to have to wait and see.

- Thanks for your input dosfreak.