Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DramaQueen1

Skybot search and distroy, direct X

My flatmate uses skybot search and distroy one a month on our pc to clean it up.

However i've noticed that each time he does it, my "directX" driver thingee-ma-jig gets "distroyed" and so i have to re-download it.

Does anyone know if there is a way i can put it in a safe list or something so that it doesn't get deleted? We have Windows XP home edition.

Would really appreciate any help!

I would advice you to use some other antispyware scanner instead of SkyBot, personally I use this spyware remover, I'm quite satisfied with it, and it doesn't corrupt anything (I also have XP home with DirectX 9.0). If you however want to use SkyBot, you can backup your system partition with the help of Acronis True Image and after curruption of the driver you should mount created image of your partition as a logical drive and compare system folders on your partition and in the image.

I beg to differ on that opinion, I personally use and recommend Spybot - Search & Destroy and I don't have anything remotely related to your issue concerning DirectX.

I'm thinking your machine may have a corrupted OS and that running this scan just happens to cause the OS to barf on itself, hence the reason you need to reinstall DX9 once again.

I would recommend backing up your data files and anything else you want to keep and then flatlining the HD and reinstalling the OS fresh with the latest device drivers for your motherboard, graphics, sound etc....

Then install fresh copies of the following tools, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Microsoft Anti-Spyware BETA, AdAware PE and your favorite anti-virus app wink

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
I beg to differ on that opinion, I personally use and recommend Spybot - Search & Destroy and I don't have anything remotely related to your issue concerning DirectX.

I'm thinking your machine may have a corrupted OS and that running this scan just happens to cause the OS to barf on itself, hence the reason you need to reinstall DX9 once again.

I would recommend backing up your data files and anything else you want to keep and then flatlining the HD and reinstalling the OS fresh with the latest device drivers for your motherboard, graphics, sound etc....

Then install fresh copies of the following tools, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Microsoft Anti-Spyware BETA, AdAware PE and your favorite anti-virus app wink

couldnt agree with you more and as always your recomendations

are right on the money.