Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
woodyof2004

my s3 onboard graphics card

can anyone help me?

i have VIA/S3G KM400/KN400 onboard graphics card. i would like to use my nvidia geforce 4 graphics card but when i insert it to the graphics slot and turn my pc on the 2 graphics cards conflict and my screen turns off when windows begins to load.

please help cos this s3 card is not good. thanks

You will have to go through two steps. While the onboard graphics card is still defaulted in windows, you will have to change the driver from S3 to Standard VGA. It will want to reboot. As it is booting up, hit the key (it can be the DEL key, F10, or ESC every system has its own key) that will allow you to go into your BIOS. Once in the Bios default the graphics to AGP and if you can, disconnect the onboard graphics. Remember to Save the changes. When you come out of the Bios after saving the changes, turn the machine off. Put your Nvidia card in. Turn the machine on. This should allow windows to come up with the Standard VGA driver and you should be able to see the screen (remembering, of course, to have switched the cable to connect the new card to the monitor). Once windows is up, you can install the Nvidia drivers for your card.