Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timb5163

linspire

Probably because Linspire has it's own fine forum. The folks over there are very helpful and there is a broad base of very dedicated users who essentially run the forum.

I have been a Linspire insider since the beginning, but have really set my base here with various distros.

Some Linux users shun Linspire, because it is a distro that one pays for. But my experience has been that it is worth the price for new Linux users who have little inclination to fuss with there hardware issues.

It's not a perfect distro, but has a broad base of supporters and is a fine distro for most regular users.

I almost put linspire on this box, I got a bug to try something different, after having some small problems with FC4. I ended up trying Suse9.3 pro. Just got it installed this afternoon, so I haven't had time to see if I like it yet (do they have a forum ?), but may end up trying Linspire, if Suse doesn't do for us what we want.

Justbill

I just got SUSE 9.3 Pro installed a couple of days ago, myself. I switched over from Mandriva 2005 SE PowerPack. I'm fairly new at Linux, so this is the second distro I have tried. I was happy with Mandriva, but was unable to set up my SATA drives in RAID0 array with it. With SUSE, it was actually quite easy, once I got the idea of the GUI. Overall, I think SUSE is a bit more professional looking. I don't miss the Penguin with the wild looking eyes. I really like some of the features, such as YAST, better than Mandriva. I missed a few of the applications in Mandriva, but found them with little effort in SUSE RPM's, so not a problem. No hardware issues, except that the newer kernel doesn't like my Sony CLIE PDA, so won't sync with Evolution or work with the other PDA applications. Not really serious, although it did work with Mandriva 2005. I hope you find SUSE as enjoyable as I'm finding it to be. I would still say, based on my experience, if you knew nothing about Linux, Mandriva might be a little more friendly to install.

Regards,

zenarcher

Linspire has a bad rep among the general GNU/Linux community cos of it's fervent efforts to emulate Windows, right down to the interface and the security permissions. Linspire doesn't have the root, user standard config.

Originally posted by iamroot:

Quote:
Linspire has a bad rep among the general GNU/Linux community cos of it's fervent efforts to emulate Windows, right down to the interface and the security permissions. Linspire doesn't have the root, user standard config.

Wow, iamroot, where did you get that idea? Without getting into a debate, Linspire is based on Debian. Did you ever try Linspire? I refer you to this NewsForge article.

I know that Linspire is bsed on Debian but alot of changes has been made. I know for a fact that root access is enabled by default, like Windows.