Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
laticsdb1

Outlook 97 startup problem on Windows XP

I have installed Office 97 on a Windows XP machine. All programs work OK except Outlook 97. It does not start. The error message is "outlook.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I have tried to open Outlook 97 with the administrator account and get the same problem. I also have another windows XP machine and get the same fault.

I don't want to upgrade as the rest of the office use 97. Does anyone know how to get outlook working on XP?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ross.

I have tried a re-install from the original CD with no success. I have also completely removed and re-installed using the administrators account with no joy.

Any other suggestions?

Make sure that your Office 97 installation is up-to-date by installing Office 97 Service Release 1 (SR-1) first and then applying Office 97 Service Release 2b (SR-2b).

Also, does Outlook always crash from a completely clean installation or once you have set it up with your email accounts/message store? I only ask becuase I've seen Outlook fall over before when it attempts to access a corrupt .PST message file. If this may be the case, you can run scanpst.exe (search for it under 'Program files') and allow it to perform a quick scan on your .PST file; any problems will be corrected.

Thanks Ross.

I tried the scanpst.exe program and that did not work. However, I had copied my previous "outlook.pst" file over to the new PC. I removed this file and re-installed outlook. Outlook worked OK. I then imported the required items from my original outlook.pst file. Everything works OK.

Thanks again for all your help.