Compatible Support Forums
Four and Twenty

Speed Problem on Sony Vaio FS550 Laptop

I just bought a sony vaio fs550 laptop which uses the intel centrino processor

my problem is that it always reports that it is running at 798mhz when it is supposed to run at 1.6 Ghz

There was a reg hack for the P3's that had speedstep to that would allow you to lock the processor to the max speed all the time. That section of the registry doesn't exist on this computer. One of the downloads from sony said that it fixes the problem and it doesn't work either. I am not sure weather the processor is running that slow or not. The computer seems to be very fast. What I did when I got the computer was wipe out the hard drive and install winxp pro sp2 on it. Then I installed all the updates from winupdate then I put on all of the sony drivers. I found out later that there is a certain order that you are supposed to install the sony drivers but it is a little late for that now. Anyhow if anyone knows of a reg hack that can lock in max speed for the centrino or anything else that might help please let me know.

interesting update i just found this link

http://www.csgnetwork.com/centintelprocspeedcalc.html

if you punch 1.6 ghz in the lower field it comes out to about the speed that my system was reporting

the other thing that is interesting is that now the speed is reported at 1.6 ghz in the system properties all of the sudden

cpu reports 798mhz

anyone know what the hell is going on here

ok i figured it out

i didn't really have a problem in the first place

when i ran cpu z for a little while and loaded a bunch of intensive tasks up the cpu speed jumped right up to 1.6 ghz as it should so all seems to be working just fine