Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KleShreen

Looking for a Laptop Recommendation...

I wasn't sure if this should go here, or in the Buy, Sell, Trade section...i apologize if this should be there.

But...here's what I'm lookin for. I'm starting college in 3 weeks, and at first i wanted a PC, but lately decided i'd rather have a laptop so it takes up less room in my dorm, and i'm going to be gone nearly every weekend, so i could take it with me.

The big things I want...

at LEAST an 60 GB hard drive...would prefer 80 or 100

at LEAST 512 MB ram

CD-R/RW plus DVD watching capabilities (don't need to write DVD's)

and a TV Tuner/Capture Card (on my PC i have the ATI AIW 9600 and i love it...something similar to that for a laptop would be good)

Also, I can't really decide if i want to experiment with wireless internet. My dorm has a high-speed internet hookup, but like I said, i'm also going to be traveling pretty much every weekend, and there's also 4 months in the summer i'm going to be home (i have dial-up at home). Now, the campus is about half-equipped for wireless internet. All the dorm rooms have it, and about 1/3 of the classroom buildings though they'll all be done by the end of the fall semester. However, wireless internet on campus is free...so what about when i'm off campus and traveling? i have absolutely no clue at all about wireless internet or how it works, especially as far as paying for it...what's exactly needed for wireless internet? i know you need a wireless router...would i need to take that anywhere i went if i wanted to use the internet? how would i be able to use it off of campus?

any help is appreciated...you guys are the geniuses around here.

The screen on our Toshiba went blank after just one year, (right when the warranty ran out... planned obsolescence...) I can't recommend Toshiba anymore...

I really like the Toshiba Satellite P35 (3+ GHZ, i love it.) and i also like the Dell Inspiron 9300 and HP Pavilion zd8000. The only thing I don't like is that Toshiba (at least on their site) doesn't let you customize. But they're all still around the same price, and all including my basics that i listed.

Any recommendations on those 3?

We have an HP PC and i'm happy with it, though i'm sure it could be better.

1 question...the Windows XP Media Center Edition comes with a TV tuner, correct? I'd like a TV Tuner for my laptop (i have the ATI AIW for my PC and i love it, especially taking pictures of me playing video games through the PS2 or something) that would do the same things. Would the MCE be able to do this? And would the ATI Mobility X600 be able to handle it?

Well here's what i ended up ordering today...

HP Pavilion zd8000 BTO Notebook PC

- 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1400x900)

- 54g Integ. Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN & Bluetooth

- 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533 MHZ (2x512MB)

- Intel® Pentium® 4 520 w/HT Technology, 2.8GHz

- 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

- LightScribe 8x DVD+/-RW&CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer

- Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition

- Extra 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

- 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600

Sound any good to you computer experts? haha