Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CatWoman55

Leisure Suit Larry 7 on Win 200 Pro/SP4 - Strange Behavior

Hello to all. Maybe someone in here can help me? Well, I give it a try smile

LSL 7 acts quite weird on my comp, and maybe someone in here has already had the same problem and solved it?

Here are my problems with good old Laffer trying to run it on Win 2000 Pro / SP4.

What I did so far: I installed the Win version, choosing the Win 95 compatibility mode for both installation and running.

I also installed the game without the Win95 comp. mode. It simply makes no difference.

Next step was to copy the original SIERW.exe from the CD to change the command line in the start shortcut

from D:\SIERRA\LSL7\Sierw5.exe D:\SIERRA\LSL7\RESOURCE.WIN

to D:\SIERRA\LSL7\Sierw.exe D:\SIERRA\LSL7\RESOURCE.WIN

as sierw5.exe would not work at all (Error 105, Script 64962).

I could then run the program, but it kicked me back out to the desktop on the first mouseclick.

I un- and reinstalled the whole thing, this time using one of the Larry 7 patches before running the game the first time (in total, I found three which are all the same: si_lsl7_update.exe, patch_LSL7.exe and LSL7.pat).

This got me a bit further, but when Larry frees himself from the handcuffs and leaves the scene, the game freezes on me. This forces me to shut down the game via the Task Manager, getting the message: "ntvdm.exe caused an error. The program is being shut. Please restart the program".

Restarting the game gets me to exactly the same point and, wham, freezing again.

Any similar experience and maybe a solution so far?

As a second try, I wanted the DOS version and installed it, then ran it with VDMS.

(DOS Box never worked out for me, btw, but of course, I gave it a try. As I figured, nothing at all happened. Black screen. And yes, I DID mount my CD drive plus did anything else I am supposed to do with this tool).

DOS version/VDMS gets me as far as the first mouseclick, then the game disappears and a row of numbers runs down the DOS screen. Too fast for me to know what they are, but it looks like a memory overflow. The only word I can read is "granulate"....

No matter what changes I make in the VDMS properties or the resource.cfg ... always the same thing.

Any similar experience and maybe a solution here?

I would appreciate any help. Normally, WIN XP tricks work well for me (got KQ 5, 6 and 7 plus some other older games running by following the advice on several sites).

If needed, I can post both my resource.cfg (DOS) and resource.win here.

Thanks for any hint.

Cat